Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Luca

Default login fails

Hi all,
*I have a workstation with Fedora 8 installed. Everything was working fine, then I guess I messed up something in the /usr and /var directories.

Now when if I boot at run level 3 everything is fine, till the login message. Then the login gives me the message "Login incorrect" before I can even enter the password. This happens if I try to login as root or normal user.

The /etc/passwd file seems to be ok.

Can someone help me? Thanks
*
Luca

Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
max

Luca wrote:

Hi all,
I have a workstation with Fedora 8 installed. Everything was working fine,
then I guess I messed up something in the /usr and /var directories.

What exactly did you do? to /usr and /var directories.

--
Fortune favors the BOLD

Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Patrick Dupre

Hello,

I tried to update a fedora 16 to 17. Unfortunately, the update failed
very soon after the starting.
Then, no way to try again to update, the distribution was not
recognized.

Anyway, I was able to boot the distribution, but at the login, after I
give a login name I get:
tty1: can't exec /bin/login permission denied

What are your recommendations?

Thank.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Can you still log into the normal tty:s? Try ctrl-alt-f6 for example.

Not sure exactly what is broken here...but running "ls -l /usr/bin | grep login" *and see what it says. Possibly some permissions were not set properly because of the failed update.
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Patrick Dupre

Can you still log into the normal tty:s? Try ctrl-alt-f6 for example.

Same thing.

Not sure exactly what is broken here...but running "ls -l /usr/bin |
grep login" *and see what it says. Possibly some permissions were not
set properly because of the failed update.
Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Patrick Dupre <pdupre@kegtux.org
I tried to update a fedora 16 to 17. Unfortunately, the update
failed
very soon after the starting.
Then, no way to try again to update, the distribution was not
recognized.
Anyway, I was able to boot the distribution, but at the login,
after I
give a login name I get:
tty1: cant exec /bin/login permission denied

What are your recommendations?

Thank.

*Patrick DUPRÉ * * * * * * * *| * | *email:
pdupre@kegtux.org [1]

[4]
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org [5]

Links:
------
[1] mailtodupre@kegtux.org
[2] mailto:users@lists.fedoraproject.org
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
[5] http://ask.fedoraproject.org
[6] mailtodupre@kegtux.org

Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Patrick Dupre

Can you still log into the normal tty:s? Try ctrl-alt-f6 for example.

No, I can just not login on the machine
When I boot from another installation and mount the volume, the
permission seems right.

Not sure exactly what is broken here...but running "ls -l /usr/bin |
grep login" *and see what it says. Possibly some permissions were not
set properly because of the failed update.

I cannot login, so, I cannot make a ls command.
I use to log in text mode.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Bill Shirley

[...]

If it's a selinux problem, boot the distribution, mount the partition,
and edit /etc/selinux/config. Change to

SELINUX=permissive

then reboot. Hopefully that will get you logged in so you can find the
problem. I suggest a re-label.

Bill

Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Patrick Dupre

[6]> wrote:

[...]

Thank,
But how can I re-label the partitions which are not mounted or
force these partitions to be re-labelled at a boot while they
are not part of the mounted distribution.
My understanding is that if I ask relabel on next reboot only the
booted partitions are relabelled?

Regards.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Patrick Dupre

[6]> wrote:

[...]

The other problem is that when I try to update the distribution,
it is not recognize as a fedora distribution! I can boot it but not
login!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Patrick Dupre

[6]> wrote:

[...]