Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 PM
fred smith

Default Linksys WRT54G2

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:27:47PM -0700, Rich Emberson wrote:
> I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a Linksys
> WRT54G2
> Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to the
> terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).
>
> I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
> already have a router and DSL internet connection.
>
> Anyone have any experience or links which can help me figure out how to use
> this puppy?

You might find it informative to check out the fora (plural of forum)
and wiki at dd-wrt.com. dd-wrt is alternative firmware for many (but
not all) of those linksys router/AP thingies, so the main emphasis there
is using their firmware. But you might glean something too even if you
decide not to change firmware.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 PM
fred smith

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:27:47PM -0700, Rich Emberson wrote:
> I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a Linksys
> WRT54G2
> Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to the
> terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).
>
> I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
> already have a router and DSL internet connection.
>
> Anyone have any experience or links which can help me figure out how to use
> this puppy?

And to post a 2nd reply to the same message:

i meant to add that you don't need their windows software for anything.
Those puppies all export their UI via a web page. If you don't know what
IP address it is configured for, you should be able to restore it to its'
factory settings by powering it on and pressing the little reset button
on the back of it and holding it for 30 seconds. Then you should be
able to connect a cat5 to one of the lan ports (not the wan port, the
one that would go to your modem) and browse to 192.168.0.1 or maybe it's
192.168.1.1, don't recall which.

That CD also should include a PDF manual that gives some info on how
to configure it once you've gotten to the point described above.

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Sam Varshavchik

fred smith writes:

I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a Linksys
WRT54G2
Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to the
terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).

I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
already have a router and DSL internet connection.

Anyone have any experience or links which can help me figure out how to use
this puppy?

You might find it informative to check out the fora (plural of forum)
and wiki at dd-wrt.com. dd-wrt is alternative firmware for many (but
not all) of those linksys router/AP thingies, so the main emphasis there
is using their firmware. But you might glean something too even if you
decide not to change firmware.

Unfortunately, I dd-wrt won't run very well on the above router. This router
has too little RAM to accomodate dd-wrt. You need the the WRT54GL flag, to
use DD-WRT succesfully.

/me ordered WRT54GL precisely because I looked all of this up, beforehand.

If you browse through this router's manual, I believe that it has web-based
configuration access. I forget what's the router's default address, I think
it's http://192.168.1.2, confirm it in the manual.

Just plug in a laptop into one of the router's port, browse to its
configuration page, and set it up, by hand.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 18:44 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:27:47PM -0700, Rich Emberson wrote:
> > I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a Linksys
> > WRT54G2
> > Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to the
> > terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).
> >
> > I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
> > already have a router and DSL internet connection.
> >
> > Anyone have any experience or links which can help me figure out how to use
> > this puppy?
> >

> And to post a 2nd reply to the same message:
>
> i meant to add that you don't need their windows software for anything.
> Those puppies all export their UI via a web page. If you don't know what
> IP address it is configured for, you should be able to restore it to its'
> factory settings by powering it on and pressing the little reset button
> on the back of it and holding it for 30 seconds. Then you should be
> able to connect a cat5 to one of the lan ports (not the wan port, the
> one that would go to your modem) and browse to 192.168.0.1 or maybe it's
> 192.168.1.1, don't recall which.
----
Linksys defaults to 192.168.1.1

Configure your computer to either use DHCP or to use 192.168.1.100 (IP),
255.255.255.0 (Subnet Mask), 192.168.1.1 (Gateway) and you can open
Firefox and connect to a new Linksys router by typing http://192.168.1.1
(login name is blank, password is admin)

Craig

Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Tim Fenn

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:27:47 -0700 "Rich Emberson"
<emberson.rich@gmail.com> wrote:

> I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a
> Linksys WRT54G2
> Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according
> to the terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no
> Linux).
>
> I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing
> LAN. I already have a router and DSL internet connection.
>
> Anyone have any experience or links which can help me figure out how
> to use this puppy?

This is what I followed on my WRT54GL:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

HTH,
Tim

--
CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL OF AWESOMNESS

Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 AM

Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 AM
"bruce"

not sure, but....

if you set the reset btn, and then hook the device up to a system, you can
set it via it's base ip address. make sure you have no other hardware hooked
to the box, in order to prevent conflicts.

i think the ip is 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1, or something to that effect.

you could also try to check the linksys site to see what the base ip is..

Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 AM
James Wilkinson

fred smith wrote:
> i meant to add that you don't need their windows software for anything.
> Those puppies all export their UI via a web page. If you don't know what
> IP address it is configured for,

Alternatively, if you don’t know which IP address a router has, you can
set a computer to DHCP, let it pick up an IP address from the router,
and look at the gateway IP address (for example, in the output from
/sbin/route).

That pretty much has to be the router’s IP address – the only other way
it could work would be if the router itself had multiple internal IP
addresses, which is sufficiently pointless and adds enough extra
complexity that no-one bothers with it.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | "The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a
aprilcottage.co.uk | clock, it regularly went cuckoo."

Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Timothy Murphy

James Wilkinson wrote:

> Alternatively, if you don’t know which IP address a router has, you can
> set a computer to DHCP, let it pick up an IP address from the router,
> and look at the gateway IP address (for example, in the output from
> /sbin/route).

I'm no sort of expert in this area,
but the OP was talking of using the Linksys internally,
not as a router attached directly to the internet.

In my case this caused a slight problem,
as I had assigned the 192.168.1.0 network for the link to the network,
and so could not access my Linksys from the network.
I had to use a detached laptop to link to the Linksys (at 192.168.1.1)
and then change the IP address of the Linksys (to 192.168.2.15).

This was actually a Linksys WRT54GL,
which has been running under dd-wrt perfectly for a couple of years.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-30-2008, 02:06 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> In my case this caused a slight problem,
> as I had assigned the 192.168.1.0 network for the link to the network,
> and so could not access my Linksys from the network.
> I had to use a detached laptop to link to the Linksys (at 192.168.1.1)
> and then change the IP address of the Linksys (to 192.168.2.15).
>
> This was actually a Linksys WRT54GL,
> which has been running under dd-wrt perfectly for a couple of years.

You could have accessed it over the network - you just needed to add
a route for it. You could have added one for the host, or for the
entire network.

route add -host 192.168.1.1 eth0
or
route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

Mikkel