Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Repair FC9 for new hardware

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I had to replace a MOBO with a new graphics card and NIC.
> The storage controller is the same and the machine boots to run
> level 3 fine but its confused about the NIC (I know it works, I had
> a fresh install working out of the box) and X crashes the machine if
> I go to run level 5.
>
> I don't have the time to re-install (all the data is backed up
> though) so what's my best approach for reconfiguring this box until
> I can cleanly set it up again? I have never done this sort of thing
> before so I am a bit in the un-know
>
> FWIW, Network Manager is not installed, the module for the NIC is
> loaded, and the mac for the ifcfg-eth0 was changed to point to the
> new NIC. I also need to adjust the alias in modprobe.conf (forgot
> that, and not at wkst now) which may only leave me with reconfiguring X?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

For X, you can run system-config-display as root. As for the NIC,
you may also have to delete ifcfg-eth1 - the new NIC was probably
configured there.

Mikkel

Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>For X, you can run system-config-display as root. As for the NIC, you may also have to delete ifcfg-eth1 - the new NIC was probably configured there.
>
>Mikkel

Hi, yes the NIC I am confident I can fix (just not at box now and realized my miss after leaving).
I did run system-config-display which ended up crashing the box after I applied the settings.
Looking on the web I think I should have ran system-config-display --reconfigure maybe?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

"Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@activenetwerx.com> writes:
> Looking on the web I think I should have ran system-config-display
> --reconfigure maybe?

If it is F9 you probably don't need an xorg.conf file at all. Just
move it aside and reboot. Xorg now figures out everything on the fly.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.full-steam.org/ (ipv6-only)
You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 PM
James Wilkinson

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I had to replace a MOBO with a new graphics card and NIC.
> The storage controller is the same and the machine boots to run level 3 fine but its confused about the NIC (I know it works, I had a fresh install working out of the box) and X crashes the machine if I go to run level 5.

Just checking – did you install any proprietary X drivers? From Livna or
the manufacturer?

Can you uninstall them, if so?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | WARNING: Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL again will restart your
aprilcottage.co.uk | computer. Then again, what won't? You will lose unsaved

Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Just checking – did you install any proprietary X drivers? From Livna or
>the manufacturer?
>
>Can you uninstall them, if so?
>
>Hope this helps,

Argh, I forgot! I *may* have had some Livna ATI drivers, but that same card is back in actually!
I forgot I moved it out from the old mobo with unused IG into a new mobo also with some other Intel IG but
am still using the ATI addin card.

Was it Livna who used sloppy rpm packaging making rpm queries hard? I figure I could just do a
rpm –qa --queryformat “%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{PACKAGER}
” or something?

What's an easy string for catching all Livna RPM's to later sort through?

Good thought, Thanks!
jlc

Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Giovanni Cucca

On Friday 29 August 2008 00:18:14 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> What's an easy string for catching all Livna RPM's to later sort
> through?

Perhaps something like this:
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=livna list | grep livna > livnarpms

> jlc

Nanni
--
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.x86_64

Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Phil Meyer

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

I had to replace a MOBO with a new graphics card and NIC.
The storage controller is the same and the machine boots to run level 3 fine but its confused about the NIC (I know it works, I had a fresh install working out of the box) and X crashes the machine if I go to run level 5.

I don't have the time to re-install (all the data is backed up though) so what's my best approach for reconfiguring this box until I can cleanly set it up again? I have never done this sort of thing before so I am a bit in the un-know

FWIW, Network Manager is not installed, the module for the NIC is loaded, and the mac for the ifcfg-eth0 was changed to point to the new NIC. I also need to adjust the alias in modprobe.conf (forgot that, and not at wkst now) which may only leave me with reconfiguring X?

Thanks!
jlc

You may also want to remove the udev persistant settings. This includes
ehternet rules, storage rules, etc, depending upon circumstances.

Removing the persistant rules files will cause udev to recreate them.

On my system, here is a list:

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-input.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage-tape.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/61-persistent-storage-edd.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

You may wish to examine at least
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, and remove it.

The need to remove any others varies.

For best results, you may wish to boot to rescue mode and remove a rules
file, and then boot up normally.

Good luck: