Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
"Dan Track"

Default Gnome Terminal and Session management Query

Hi

I've got fedora 9 installed and I'd like it to store sessions for all
my routers,switches, firewalls, servers etc just like putty and
securecrt do. How can I manage that in a sensible way, I've got nearly
a 100 different devices so a long list wouldn't be ideal, something
like creating folders e.g network, linux and then storing the sessions
in there would be good.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM
"Dan Track"

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got fedora 9 installed and I'd like it to store sessions for all
> my routers,switches, firewalls, servers etc just like putty and
> securecrt do. How can I manage that in a sensible way, I've got nearly
> a 100 different devices so a long list wouldn't be ideal, something
> like creating folders e.g network, linux and then storing the sessions
> in there would be good.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Hey Guys,

Can anyone give any thoughts on this? I just need to save profiles in
a logical way!

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
"Dan Track"

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've got fedora 9 installed and I'd like it to store sessions for all
>> my routers,switches, firewalls, servers etc just like putty and
>> securecrt do. How can I manage that in a sensible way, I've got nearly
>> a 100 different devices so a long list wouldn't be ideal, something
>> like creating folders e.g network, linux and then storing the sessions
>> in there would be good.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>

> Hey Guys,
>
> Can anyone give any thoughts on this? I just need to save profiles in
> a logical way!
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Hi

Guess no one has this type of problem. I'm curious how do you guys
then manage all your servers and network devices? Do you memorise the
hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
in?

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

Dan

Old 08-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Mike McCarty

Dan Track wrote:

Hi

Guess no one has this type of problem. I'm curious how do you guys
then manage all your servers and network devices? Do you memorise the
hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
in?

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

Mostly, the tools I use have no concept of saving a session, hence
I don't save any at all. I mostly use the CLI, my GUI mailer, and
my GUI web browser. All real work gets done with the CLI. The
mail client I simply leave running 24/7, and the web browser I
use the history when I need it. When I use the browser to attach
to my router or DSL modem, I simply use the entries I have in
my /etc/hosts file.

So, normally I boot, I log in, and I just run 24/7. I don't log
out except to reboot about once a month, to do a full backup.
I have no need for sessions. I do use workspaces. I have one
for my mailer, one for browser windows, one for temp work CLI,
and one for my day to day work CLI. The temp work CLI has a
copy of GIMPS running in it, and on demand I create a CLI
window, do a little work/maintenance, and close it.

Perhaps that answers your question.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 19:46:44 +0100
Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you memorise the
> hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
> in?

I put entries in my /etc/hosts file for network devices that I need to manage,
then either create Firefox bookmarks (I have a sub-section of my bookmarks file
called "hardware") or make little bash scripts in my ~/bin directory to ssh or
telnet me where I want to go. They are all named "channeltowhatever", so if I
want to go to outsiderouter I type "channeltooutsiderouter". If I forget the
name of a device I can do "ls ~/bin/channel*" or look at my bookmarks. I try
to use device names that mean something, of course.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
"Ted Roche"

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

Maybe.

And maybe it's not clear what you are asking to do. If you want to be
monitoring those 100 devices, there are great tools like Nagios and
Zenoss to give you a single web page to monitor them. For browsing
files on the remote devices, the GNOME desktop has gvfs and fuse built
in so that you can create a remote file folder over the network using
SMB, ssh or ftp.

You mentioned PuTTY. If you want to have consoles set up in advance,
you can create a configuration file in your home directory,
.ssh/config and specify the username, port, special keys or identies,
and much more, looking something like:

Host example.com
User myname
Port 8222
LocalForward 8888 localhost:8888

Then, issuing the command "ssh example.com" will do the equivalent of
the command:

ssh -p 8022 -L8888:localhost:8888 myname@example.com

much more can be found by entering 'man ssh' or 'man ssh_config' and
far more learned at http://www.openssh.org

HTH,

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Phil Meyer

Dan Track wrote:

[...]

As others have mentioned, most older UNIX/Linux admins don't use sessions.

However, there are ways of doing things that most Junior admins I train
don't know about and therefore, don't, or haven't previously, used.

Firstly:

Set your shell history appropriately. Personally, I keep 500, and set
the shell I use to remember them between log ins.

Secondly: Use sudo ALWAYS for administration tasks that require
privileges. The /var/log/secure file can then be very useful.

Thirdly: use a tabbed terminal, such as gnome-terminal, or better yet,
konsole. In addition to plain tabs, konsole can send the input from one
tab into as many other tabs as you like. Consider using konsole to log
into everything on Monday mornings and just leave it there all week.
Need to check disk space on a few servers? Take two seconds to bind
inputs and check them all by typing df -h once. The new 4.1 version of
konsole is GREAT!

Fourthly: Learn to customize your own ~/.ssh/config file. The options
are long and various, but consider at least these four, for convenience
sake: ForwardX11 yes, StrictHostKeyChecking no, ServerAliveCountMax 10,
ServerAliveInterval 30

Forwarding X11 used to be a default, but is not needed by most users,
and is off by default, now days. With it on, you can ssh to a server,
and run: sudo system-whatever-config and have it display on your desktop.

Strict host checking off, avoids the 'yes' question every time you log
into a new host, and especially, rebuilt hosts -- for us guys that
rebuild lab equipment constantly, that one is useful! The last two,
will prevent sshd from dropping a connection due to inactivity.

Lastly: create a set of rsa and dsa keys, fix up an
~/.ssh/authorized_hosts file and copy that to every system you
maintain. You will be glad you did, and its more secure than logging in
with a password. Imagine, logging in using ssh keys with no passwd
prompt is actually more secure than logging in using a password. Let
that gel in your brain a bit.

Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Rick Stevens

Dan Track wrote:

[...]

I manage a lot of machines, generally set up in load-balanced clusters.
I use cssh a lot, so I have a rather robust /etc/clusters file. I can
manage one 20-machine cluster by "cssh brsfe" and it opens 20 xterms via
ssh to those machines.

Other management techniques are to run webmin on the various machines
and (assuming there are plugins in webmin to do it), manage them via a
browser...just keep your bookmarks up to date.

Another useful tool is KeepassX. You put URLs, usernames and passwords
into it. One click will fire up the appropriate tool for the URL. You
can copy the username and/or password into the paste buffer and paste it
into the appropriate prompts from the machine you're targeting.

If you need a windowing environment, there are vnc or FreeNX clients
and servers for Linux and Windows machines. Linux also has "rdesktop"
to speak RDP to Windows machines.

There's a ton of tools for monitoring: Cacti, Nagios, OpenNMS, lots of
others.

In other words, "profiles" has many, many meanings and we're not sure
what you mean by it. As I show above, there are many different
management tools available, some more appropriate for certain tasks than
others.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Richard England

Dan Track wrote:

[...]

I add a "Drawer" to my desk top tool bar. That drawer contains a set of
"Custom Application Launcher" entries that run in a Terminal and
execute the command "ssh -Y -l <login name>@<hostname>" . My login on
each host contains the .profile/.kshrc/ etc files that define all the
environment settings I need. I create custom Icons for the Drawer items
that consist of the name of the system.

HTH

~~R

Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Richard England

Richard England wrote:

Dan Track wrote:

[...]

Yeah, well, that command line was pretty much wrong. You shouldn't use
the -l option if you use "<login name>@<hostname>". Sorry.

~~R