Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Is ECC memory any use?

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 01:07:35 +0000,
Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> I'm getting memory for a very old (P2B-LS) Asus motherboard,
> and I see I can get ECC memory for some 20% more.
>
> Is there any point in getting this?
> I see there is quite a lot of work
> in getting ECC testing incorporated into the Linux kernel.
> But even if it were there, would it be very valuable?
>
> I have a feeling that disk errors are far more likely
> than RAM errors.
> Is that right?

A google search should turn up some pages on this. What I read suggests
it is worth getting. A bit flips were estimated to be on the order of
something like one a month (depending on memory size). And that single
bit flips were the most common type of corruption and that can be corrected
(not just detected) by ECC memory.

Whether or not it is worth it to you depends on what you are using the machine
for.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 12-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Alan Cox

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 01:07:35 +0000
Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> I'm getting memory for a very old (P2B-LS) Asus motherboard,
> and I see I can get ECC memory for some 20% more.
>
> Is there any point in getting this?

It depends what for. ECC memory will self correct errors (the ECC
framework in the kernel just deals with nice user space reporting of this
and ECC unrecoverable errors).

If you are doing complex scientific processing or banking where an error
isn't acceptable then its essential. If you can tolerate the small change
of a bit flip ever year or two then its far less of a concern.

It also depends on the amount of RAM - more ram = more change of flips.

Disk errors should be different - the odds of an undetected disk error
are minute. The odds of catastrophic failure obviously are rather more
clear.

Alan