Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Craig White

Default ACPI messages in syslog

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:18 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Well, I have to say I've had just about enough of ACPI. This last time
> it nearly corrupted my entire hard drive.
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> For some bizarre reason the newer Fedora versions (from 7 onward), the
> ACPI implementations refuse to play nice with my CPU fan (or my PS fan,
> I cannot say which, /other/ than it's a fan). So, I have posted a
> couple of times about these errors being logged in syslog and got no
> answer, so I figure not using ACPI is fine. It leaves my fans on all
> the time, but hell, it's just money, right?
>
> Now the problem is kinda sorta rearing it's ugly head again. Even with
> 'noacpi' as a kernel option, I'm still getting thousands of 'ACPI: Can't
> turn fan device to off' or similar being dumped into syslog after about
> 4 or 5 hours of this system being on. At a certain point syslog fills
> up my hard drive (/var is on /, I never expected this to be a problem)
> and bombs my system.
>
> The last time this happened (last night) it corrupted / on my primary
> HDD and I had to fsck it manually.
>
> So, after a good therapy session, I'm calm enough to find out the
> answers to a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Is there any way possible to stop ACPI from logging these blasted
> messages, especially when I have 'noacpi' as a kernel option?
>
> 2. If that's not possible, is there anyway to make rsyslog STOP logging
> at a certain size for /var/log/messages?
>
> 3. Is there any other bleeding way around this so I can stop worrying
> about this silly problem?
----
I'm not sure that noacpi is an option...perhaps you mean noacpi=1

you can also boot with the param 'acpi=off' but that is what is known as
the 'big hammer'
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems

Craig

Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
"Mark Haney"

Craig White wrote:

----
I'm not sure that noacpi is an option...perhaps you mean noacpi=1

you can also boot with the param 'acpi=off' but that is what is known as
the 'big hammer'
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems

Craig

Okay, I've asked that question a dozen times on here, what's the option
to shut off acpi. I've been told 'noacpi' every time. Not 'noacpi=1'.
I've also been told acpi=off doesn't work/isn't used any more.

Used to I'd add noacpi,acpi=off to my kernel boot line. Then I was told
acpi=off wasn't used (or whatever). So, now I'm really confused.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:41 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > ----
> > I'm not sure that noacpi is an option...perhaps you mean noacpi=1
> >
> > you can also boot with the param 'acpi=off' but that is what is known as
> > the 'big hammer'
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Okay, I've asked that question a dozen times on here, what's the option
> to shut off acpi. I've been told 'noacpi' every time. Not 'noacpi=1'.
> I've also been told acpi=off doesn't work/isn't used any more.
>
> Used to I'd add noacpi,acpi=off to my kernel boot line. Then I was told
> acpi=off wasn't used (or whatever). So, now I'm really confused.
----
I'm no expert - that's why I provided the link. acpi=off clearly is a
valid option (they label it the big hammer)

Craig

Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Victor

> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:41 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> >
> > > ----
> > > I'm not sure that noacpi is an option...perhaps you mean noacpi=1
> > >
> > > you can also boot with the param 'acpi=off' but that is what is known as
> > > the 'big hammer'
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >

> > Okay, I've asked that question a dozen times on here, what's the option
> > to shut off acpi. I've been told 'noacpi' every time. Not 'noacpi=1'.
> > I've also been told acpi=off doesn't work/isn't used any more.
> >
> > Used to I'd add noacpi,acpi=off to my kernel boot line. Then I was told
> > acpi=off wasn't used (or whatever). So, now I'm really confused.
> ----
> I'm no expert - that's why I provided the link. acpi=off clearly is a
> valid option (they label it the big hammer)

You may need to pass additional options, or better yet disable at the BIOS. More info on this page:

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/debug.php

--Victor

Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:41 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> what's the option to shut off acpi. I've been told 'noacpi' every
> time. Not 'noacpi=1'. I've also been told acpi=off doesn't
> work/isn't used any more.

The most obvious advice would be to install the kernel-doc packages, and
read the kernel-parameters.txt file in there. It should reflect what
options the current kernel supports.

less /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-*/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
(then type /acpi while reading it, and hitting enter to find the next
mention of acpi).

Supposedly, acpi=off should be accepted, according to the documentation.
Depending on your problem, there might be other parameters that might be
of use to you.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686