Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
"Reuben D. Budiardja"

Default Encryption for NTFS in Linux

Hello,
I have a laptop with dual boot with one NTFS partition so that both Windows
and Linux can read/write to it. I use ntfs-3g to mount the partition with
Fedora 8.
Is there any way to have encryption on that NTFS partition that works for both
Windows and Fedora 8 ? My main concern is protecting the data in case the
laptop gets stolen, etc.
I did some Google searches but haven't come up with any real lead yet.

Thank you for any respond.
RDB

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 15:58 -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a laptop with dual boot with one NTFS partition so that both Windows
> and Linux can read/write to it. I use ntfs-3g to mount the partition with
> Fedora 8.
> Is there any way to have encryption on that NTFS partition that works for both
> Windows and Fedora 8 ? My main concern is protecting the data in case the
> laptop gets stolen, etc.
> I did some Google searches but haven't come up with any real lead yet.

You can't have looked very hard.
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#questions says:

"NTFS supports built-in, transparent compression and encryption
of files and directories on the file system level. Reading
transparently compressed files are supported but writing of
compressed and encrypted files is denied."

poc

Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Mike

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Kevin Martin

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I have a laptop with dual boot with one NTFS partition so that both Windows
and Linux can read/write to it. I use ntfs-3g to mount the partition with
Fedora 8.
Is there any way to have encryption on that NTFS partition that works for both
Windows and Fedora 8 ? My main concern is protecting the data in case the
laptop gets stolen, etc.

I did some Google searches but haven't come up with any real lead yet.

You can't have looked very hard.
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#questions says:

"NTFS supports built-in, transparent compression and encryption
of files and directories on the file system level. Reading
transparently compressed files are supported but writing of
compressed and encrypted files is denied."

poc

I think maybe that was his point that ntfs-3g didn't support being able
to write compressed and encrypted files and was asking if there was such
a beast so he could. Another respondent pointed to TrueCrypt.org as a
possible solution.

Kevin

Old 08-28-2008, 02:26 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 08:40 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 15:58 -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I have a laptop with dual boot with one NTFS partition so that both Windows
> >> and Linux can read/write to it. I use ntfs-3g to mount the partition with
> >> Fedora 8.
> >> Is there any way to have encryption on that NTFS partition that works for both
> >> Windows and Fedora 8 ? My main concern is protecting the data in case the
> >> laptop gets stolen, etc.
> >> I did some Google searches but haven't come up with any real lead yet.
> >>

> > You can't have looked very hard.
> > http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#questions says:
> >
> > "NTFS supports built-in, transparent compression and encryption
> > of files and directories on the file system level. Reading
> > transparently compressed files are supported but writing of
> > compressed and encrypted files is denied."
> >
> > poc
> >

> I think maybe that was his point that ntfs-3g didn't support being able
> to write compressed and encrypted files and was asking if there was such
> a beast so he could. Another respondent pointed to TrueCrypt.org as a
> possible solution.

Yes, that's a possible interpretation. It would have been clearer had he
mentioned that NTFS encryption was not a solution.

poc