Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Jeffrey Engle

Default Leopard & Fedora 9 screen sharing?

Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac os
x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff

Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 09:01 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac os
> x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
> fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
> thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
> mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
> any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
> and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff
----
Fedora has 2 options to share it's screen with Macs or PCs...

freenx or VNC

The client applications for freenx are available from
http://www.nomachine.org and the client applications for VNC are
available from http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html (the Mac
version is called something like Chicken of the VNC).

installation of freenx is something like 'yum install freenx-server' and
the generally vnc server application is automatically installed ('yum
install vncviewer' for the client).

Instructions on configuration of freenx-server and vnc server are
available via google.

Craig

Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 09:01 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac os
> x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
> fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
> thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
> mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
> any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
> and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff

Apparently you want to run a Windows PC and see the desktop on a Mac.
Where does Fedora come in? Or do you mean you want to *replace* Windows
with Fedora? Or replace MacOS with Fedora?

poc

Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Jeffrey Engle

Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac
os

x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff

Apparently you want to run a Windows PC and see the desktop on a Mac.
Where does Fedora come in? Or do you mean you want to *replace*
Windows

with Fedora? Or replace MacOS with Fedora?

poc

I want to replace windows with fedora.... then see the fedora desktop
on my powermac G5 apple 20" monitor.... (powermac is running os 10.5)
Jeff

Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Jeffrey Engle

[...]

So, Craig, if I understand you correctly, all I need is the "Client
application" of either of these to screenshare on my mac? (looking at
my mac's monitor and seeing the pc)? Jeff

Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 13:56 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 09:01 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> >> Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac
> >> os
> >> x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
> >> fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
> >> thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
> >> mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
> >> any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
> >> and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff
> > ----
> > Fedora has 2 options to share it's screen with Macs or PCs...
> >
> > freenx or VNC
> >
> > The client applications for freenx are available from
> > http://www.nomachine.org and the client applications for VNC are
> > available from http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html (the Mac
> > version is called something like Chicken of the VNC).
> >
> > installation of freenx is something like 'yum install freenx-server'
> > and
> > the generally vnc server application is automatically installed ('yum
> > install vncviewer' for the client).
> >
> > Instructions on configuration of freenx-server and vnc server are
> > available via google.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> So, Craig, if I understand you correctly, all I need is the "Client
> application" of either of these to screenshare on my mac? (looking at
> my mac's monitor and seeing the pc)? Jeff
----
well - sort of...the clients are free to download for your Mac (Chicken
of the VNC or nx-client)

The server must be setup (in the case of freenx, it must be installed
and then set up).

FreeNX is a bit slicker, faster, better. VncServer is already installed
on your computer and all you need to do is configure it.

Craig

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 10:46 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 09:01 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> >> Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac
> >> os
> >> x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
> >> fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
> >> thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
> >> mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
> >> any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
> >> and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff
> >
> > Apparently you want to run a Windows PC and see the desktop on a Mac.
> > Where does Fedora come in? Or do you mean you want to *replace*
> > Windows
> > with Fedora? Or replace MacOS with Fedora?
> >
> > poc
> >

> I want to replace windows with fedora.... then see the fedora desktop
> on my powermac G5 apple 20" monitor.... (powermac is running os 10.5)
> Jeff

You need to run an X server on the Mac whose clients are on the PC. The
usual way is to use vnc or freenx. Since the machines are presumably on
the same local network there's not a lot between them in performance,
but on slower networks freenx has the edge as it does a lot more
optimization.

See Craig's reply for more details.

poc

Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Jeffrey Engle

[...]

Ok, the magic word... configure. How do I do this? (a newbie here) J

Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:31 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Craig White wrote:

> >> So, Craig, if I understand you correctly, all I need is the "Client
> >> application" of either of these to screenshare on my mac? (looking at
> >> my mac's monitor and seeing the pc)? Jeff
> > ----
> > well - sort of...the clients are free to download for your Mac
> > (Chicken
> > of the VNC or nx-client)
> >
> > The server must be setup (in the case of freenx, it must be installed
> > and then set up).
> >
> > FreeNX is a bit slicker, faster, better. VncServer is already
> > installed
> > on your computer and all you need to do is configure it.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Ok, the magic word... configure. How do I do this? (a newbie here) J
----
OK - I replied twice with links and both were rejected by my upstream
smtp server as being spam - ugh...

google is your friend...

google 'vncserver linux config' or 'freenx server config' depending upon
which one you want to use.

Craig