Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Beartooth

Default Progress with F9 on EeePC 701 (was strange error)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:58:18 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
[...]
> If I could only somehow get pirut, it would help a lot. Yum
> doesn't have any sort of force option, afaict; I thought maybe pirut'd
> be in livna. I installed the F9 livna rpm, and tried "yum install
> pirut," but it still only told me I already had packagekit.
>
> What's so wrong with having both?? One of my PCs does; but I
> can't remember how I got it there ...
>
> [LATER] Having installed Opera on the EeePC, I managed to google
> up a pirut noarch rpm at rpmfind; downloaded it; tried to -ivh it; got a
> dependency for "comps-extras"; told yum to install that, which it did;
> tried rpm -ivh again -- and got a thing I haven't seen before : a notice
> that it *conflicts* with some *unnamed* file in packagekit.
>
> Other people online claim to have removed package kit; I'm going
> to try.

Well, I don't have both. I did try "yum remove gnome-packagekit,"
and it not only did it, but took nothing else with it. So I ran rpm -ivh
again, and this time pirut did install.

What's more, it launches, runs, and works. I have both added and
removed things.

> At this point, I'm down to 50.2% file usage, according to baobab,
> and can start emulating amorous porcupines while I copy data of my own
> back in. But I'd a lot rather pare that down somewhere well below 50%,
> and then try.

Installing pirut instead of packagekit cut me back from 50.2% of
the 6.4 GB which baobab can see of my nominal 8 GB, to 50% even. Iow,
pirut is about 100 MB smaller than packagekit -- hence better for this
hardware in that way at least.

As a precaution, once pirut completes doing my changes (almost
all removals) from among its first two categories (Desktop Environments
and Applications), I'll do another yum update, and then a reboot. (I once
destroyed an install of F8 on this machine by getting too eager for too
long with pirut.)

[Later] Even though the little notifier (which I have tried to
remove from the panel, unsuccessfully till I removed packagekit from the
machine) showed hundreds of updates waiting, yum updated propoposed only
to replace pirut with packagekit. I told it NO, in thunder. I'll have to
either find a way to exclude pirut from updates, or learn to use it to do
them, or both, till I get ready to have packagekit back -- id est, till
I'm done pruning. Dammitall.

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3

Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 PM