Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Sean Bruno

Default Traveling Internet Access in Australia

I'm headed to Australia next spring around ANZAC and I'm interested in
maintaining a stable internet connection while I'm on the road.

What are my options traveling around? I've seen some evidence that
there's wireless options but they appear to have download limits. Is
there anything for the traveling Linux Internet DJ that might be a bit
better for maintaining a stable connection?

Sean

Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Michael Fleming

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:57:31 -0700
Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net> wrote:

> I'm headed to Australia next spring around ANZAC and I'm interested in
> maintaining a stable internet connection while I'm on the road.
>
> What are my options traveling around? I've seen some evidence that
> there's wireless options but they appear to have download limits.

Welcome to the nightmare/off-colour joke that is Australian "broadband"
- there's download limits on everything, and data charges lean towards
the obscene. :-(

> Is
> there anything for the traveling Linux Internet DJ that might be a bit
> better for maintaining a stable connection?

Most metropolitan areas will have some form of standard wireless access
(CBD, cafes etc.) otherwise you have 3G wireless covering most major
centres.

A good Australian site for info and discussion on Australian internet
issues is Whirlpool (www.whirlpool.net.au)

> Sean

Michael.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 19:41 +1000, Michael Fleming wrote:
> Welcome to the nightmare/off-colour joke that is Australian
> "broadband"

Yeah, it's narrow band. They just don't understand the concept of
broadband (multiple users being able to download large amounts of data,
and fast, i.e. B R O A D, and not just between different users on the
same ISP).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686