Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Nickolas Gray

Default Bootable FC9 Disk Copy

I am attempting to create a bootable copy of a running SELinux box on FC9. I think I am close but I am coming up with a kernel panic (text at end) Here are the steps and a brief reason. If anyone has any suggestions where I might have made a mistake or left something out a comment would be appreciated. The only requirements so far is that it has to be a disk to disk copy with no CD/DVD rescue involved and it has to use LVM Snapshot.

The original looks like

mbr on boot sector
/dev/sda1 Â*ext3 /boot
/dev/sda2 Â*LVM

VolGroup00/LogVol00 is root
VolGroup00/LogVol01 is swap

This is what I am doing.

• This seemed like an efficient way to dup the filesystems of the source to the target.
sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb

•Duplicate the MBR
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512k

•Copy the entire /boot from a to b
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=664 count=1

•Add the /dev/sdb2 to LVM
pvcreate /dev/sdb2

create the VolGroup for /
vgcreate -s 32m VolGroup01 /dev/sdb2

Create the logical volume for / and swap
lvcreate -l 1562 -n LogVol00 VolGroup01
lvcreate -l 62 -n LogVol01 VolGroup01

Create the swap area
mkswap /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01

Format the / filesystem
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00

Create the snapshot
lvcreate -L 20g -s -n snap /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Mount the snapshot
mount /dev/VolGroup00/snap /snapshot

Mount the target
mount /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 /target

Rsync over the snapshot
rsync -vXxpr Â*/snapshot/* /target

Unmount the snapshot
umount /snapshot

lvremove -f VolGroup00/snap

At this point I fixed the initrd, the fstab and grub.conf on the target to point to VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00.

I would think this should be it.

What I get is.

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is .....
kerne /vmlinuz ......
Linux bzimage.....
initrd / initrd ....
Linux initrd

Decompresing Linux ... Done
Booting the kernel
Red Hat nash version 6,0,52 starting
Reading all physical volumes this make take awhile ....
Found volume group VolGroup01 now active
ERROR: exec of init (/sbin/init) failed failed!!!! No such file or directory
ERROR: Â*failed in exec of /bin/echo: No such file or directory
a couple messages about not finding /bin/sleep
Kernel Panic

I am not really sure where this is getting to. I thought it was getting to the initrd but now I am not sure.

Thanks Nick

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Ken Smith

Nickolas Gray wrote:
I am attempting to create a bootable copy of a running SELinux box on
FC9. I think I am close but I am coming up with a kernel panic (text
at end) Here are the steps and a brief reason. If anyone has any
suggestions where I might have made a mistake or left something out a
comment would be appreciated. The only requirements so far is that it
has to be a disk to disk copy with no CD/DVD rescue involved and it
has to use LVM Snapshot.

The original looks like

mbr on boot sector
/dev/sda1 ext3 /boot
/dev/sda2 LVM

[...]

rsync -vXxpr /snapshot/* /target

Unmount the snapshot
umount /snapshot

lvremove -f VolGroup00/snap

At this point I fixed the initrd, the fstab and grub.conf on the
target to point to VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00.

I would think this should be it.

What I get is.

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is .....
kerne /vmlinuz ......
Linux bzimage.....
initrd / initrd ....
Linux initrd

Decompresing Linux ... Done
Booting the kernel
Red Hat nash version 6,0,52 starting
Reading all physical volumes this make take awhile ....
Found volume group VolGroup01 now active
ERROR: exec of init (/sbin/init) failed failed!!!! No such file or
directory

ERROR: failed in exec of /bin/echo: No such file or directory
a couple messages about not finding /bin/sleep
Kernel Panic

I am not really sure where this is getting to. I thought it was
getting to the initrd but now I am not sure.

Thanks Nick

In that NASH script runs just before the error the running system
volumes are mounted. It is compiled at install time to mount the right
LV. If the LV has changed the kernel will panic because it can't find
/sbin/init. See here
http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/linux_lvm_recovery.html adapt the
narrative to suit your situation.

Ken