Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Mike McCarty

Default Turn off bash completion?

I'd like to disable the bash "completion" feature. I've read
the info bash stuff, and I see lots of ways to specify what
happens after or during completion, but I didn't see (overlooked?)
how to turn it off. Any bash gurus out there know how to disable
it entirely?

I don't want to turn off line editing, just completion.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 AM
James Wilkinson

Mike McCarty wrote:
> I'd like to disable the bash "completion" feature. I've read
> the info bash stuff, and I see lots of ways to specify what
> happens after or during completion, but I didn't see (overlooked?)
> how to turn it off. Any bash gurus out there know how to disable
> it entirely?
>
> I don't want to turn off line editing, just completion.

Out of interest – why? The easiest way would surely be just not to use
it.

The bash man page says:
disable-completion (Off)
If set to On, readline will inhibit word completion. Completion
characters will be inserted into the line as if they had been
mapped to self-insert.

Earlier, it mentions where to put this:
Readline Variables
Readline has variables that can be used to further customize its
behavior. A variable may be set in the inputrc file with a
statement of the form

set variable-name value

On Fedora, /etc/profile sets the inputrc file to /etc/inputrc unless
~/.inputrc exists when you log in (or the environment variable INPUTRC
has been set).

So if you put
set disable-completion on
into ~/.inputrc , and log in again, completion should be disabled.
You’ll also have disabled the rest of the settings in /etc/inputrc: you
might like to either copy them across, or try putting
$include /etc/inputrc
into ~/.inputrc .

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | Blessed are the pessimistic, for they take backups.
aprilcottage.co.uk |

Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Mike McCarty

James Wilkinson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

I'd like to disable the bash "completion" feature. I've read
the info bash stuff, and I see lots of ways to specify what
happens after or during completion, but I didn't see (overlooked?)
how to turn it off. Any bash gurus out there know how to disable
it entirely?

I don't want to turn off line editing, just completion.

Out of interest – why? The easiest way would surely be just not to use
it.

Because I find that I'm frequently hitting TAB when intending
to use CAPS-LOCK and getting extraneous stuff in my command line
which I then have to edit back out.

The bash man page says:
disable-completion (Off)

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that in the info pages. Or
perhaps man is more informative than info. Anyway, looks like what I
need...

[...]

Hope this helps,

I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's perfect.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Mike McCarty

James Wilkinson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

I'd like to disable the bash "completion" feature. I've read
the info bash stuff, and I see lots of ways to specify what
happens after or during completion, but I didn't see (overlooked?)
how to turn it off. Any bash gurus out there know how to disable
it entirely?

I don't want to turn off line editing, just completion.

Out of interest – why? The easiest way would surely be just not to use
it.

[...]

set disable-completion on
into ~/.inputrc , and log in again, completion should be disabled.
You’ll also have disabled the rest of the settings in /etc/inputrc: you
might like to either copy them across, or try putting
$include /etc/inputrc
into ~/.inputrc .

Hmm, created ~/.inputrc

$ cat ~/.inputrc
include /etc/inputrc
set disable-completion on

Then

$ su - <myself>

to get a login shell, and indeed completion is turned off.
HOWEVER, so is "I". IOW, I can no longer type the letter "i"
in either upper or lower case. I can, however, type in a
tab. Hmm...

Mike

Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:51:55 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Because I find that I'm frequently hitting TAB when intending
> to use CAPS-LOCK and getting extraneous stuff in my command line
> which I then have to edit back out.

Have you considered re-arranging your keyboard layout?
(System-Preferences-Hardware-Keyboard)

Old 08-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Mike McCarty