Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
"Richard Shaw"

Default Laptop Recommendations

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm about to buy a new laptop. And I'd like to buy one that works well

with Fedora 9. My current thinking is to go with something from Dell,

because they support Ubuntu on some of their laptops - and if

something works with Ubuntu then there's a good chance that it can be

made to work with Fedora. I'm very tempted by their new Studio range,

but they don't (yet) sell them with Ubuntu on so I suspect there might

be dragons there.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone here had any other suggestions. I'm

looking for a light laptop with something like a 12" screen, a 2 Ghz

or more processor, 2 Gb of RAM, 300 Gb hard disk, wireless and

bluetooth. Working well with Fedora is my primary concern.

I'm hoping to spend about 800, but could go to 1,000 for the right machine.

Any suggestions? Or suggestions of better places to go for suggestions?

Cheers,

Dave...

I got issued an HP 8510w workstation at work (a bit more high end than your looking at) and everything works.

Top level specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz
Centrino vPro chipset
Intel Wireless works out of the box

Bluetooth works
Video is Nvidia Quadro 570M (frame buffer driver works ok, but at 1900x1200 scrolling can be painful, nvidia driver from freshrpms works fine)
Sound works fine, all media buttons work (volume control, mute, etc)

DVD burner works fine with k3b
Booted F9 liveusb system fine (used to test the system before installing to disk)

Overall a very nice laptop.

Richard

Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 15:26, Dave Cross wrote:
> I'm about to buy a new laptop. And I'd like to buy one that works well
> with Fedora 9.
[snip]
> I'm looking for a light laptop with something like a 12" screen, a 2 Ghz
> or more processor, 2 Gb of RAM, 300 Gb hard disk, wireless and
> bluetooth. Working well with Fedora is my primary concern.

Since March I am a happy owner of Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo U9200. It is 12",
the processor is Core 2 Duo at 1.6GHz, initially it had 1GB of ram but I had
it upgraded to 2 GB, 120 GB hd was enough for me.

Fedora, both 8 and 9, seem to Just Work on this machine. It has it all working
out of the box --- wireless, sound, 3d accelerated video (intel), webcam,
bluetooth (reported by the system to work, but I have never actually tested
it, have no device to try it out), etc.

Things I have not tried (yet) are hibernation abilities and such.

I am sure memory and hard drive are upgradable. As for the 2 GHz processor,
well, is it really neccessary? :-)

It usually comes without an OS preinstalled, so you need not pay any money to
Microsoft for the software you won't be using. :-)

Other than working with Fedora, my primary concern was weight --- I tend to
carry the laptop around a lot, so it is very important to me that it is as
light as possible --- it turned out to be 1.8 kg, which is the lightest I
could find (the EeePC is lighter, but doesn't have a true hd and a dvd
burner, so doesn't count).

You might want to take a look at its specs on the web, to see if it fits your
needs.

HTH, :-)
Marko