Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Frank Cox

Default kpalmdoc - convert PalmDOC to Text

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong here but I just can't see it.

I have a number of pdb files that I want to convert to text. It seems that the
simplest solution is kpalmdoc (part of kdepim).

So...

I crank up kpalmdoc and find two file selection boxes: "Text file:" and
"DOC file:". If I select the palmdoc file in the "DOC file" box and leave the
"Text file:" box empty, then click on "Convert PalmDOC to Text", I get this
message: "The text file /home already exists. Overwrite it?"

Er, no, let's not overwrite that.

If I select a directory name under "Text file:" it tells me that "The text
file /directory/I/selected already exists. Overwrite it?"

In order to convert an individual file to a text file I have to create a dummy
text file first, then select that and tell the program to overwrite it.

It gets worse if I select "Convert whole folders". Then I get two selection
boxes, "Text folder:" and "Palmdoc folder". No matter what I selections I make
in those boxes, I always get the message "No text files were converted
correctly" when I click on "Convert PalmDOC to Text".

So, what am I doing wrong here? I can do this job by creating a
dummy file for each of the pdb files that I want to convert, then individually
selecting each file and telling it to overwrite the dummy file but that's
obviously not the right way to do it.

On a related note, can this conversion be done from the command line instead of
having to go through the gui?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 AM
"Mike Burger"

> I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong here but I just can't see it.
>
> I have a number of pdb files that I want to convert to text. It seems
> that the
> simplest solution is kpalmdoc (part of kdepim).
>
> So...
>
> I crank up kpalmdoc and find two file selection boxes: "Text file:" and
> "DOC file:". If I select the palmdoc file in the "DOC file" box and leave
> the
> "Text file:" box empty, then click on "Convert PalmDOC to Text", I get
> this
> message: "The text file /home already exists. Overwrite it?"
>
> Er, no, let's not overwrite that.
>
> If I select a directory name under "Text file:" it tells me that "The text
> file /directory/I/selected already exists. Overwrite it?"
>
> In order to convert an individual file to a text file I have to create a
> dummy
> text file first, then select that and tell the program to overwrite it.
>
> It gets worse if I select "Convert whole folders". Then I get two
> selection
> boxes, "Text folder:" and "Palmdoc folder". No matter what I selections I
> make
> in those boxes, I always get the message "No text files were converted
> correctly" when I click on "Convert PalmDOC to Text".
>
> So, what am I doing wrong here? I can do this job by creating a
> dummy file for each of the pdb files that I want to convert, then
> individually
> selecting each file and telling it to overwrite the dummy file but that's
> obviously not the right way to do it.
>
> On a related note, can this conversion be done from the command line
> instead of
> having to go through the gui?

As I recall, pdb files are Palm database files (contacts, memos, etc), not
doc files.

I could be wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:47:00 -0400 (EDT)
Mike Burger <mburger@bubbanfriends.org> wrote:

> As I recall, pdb files are Palm database files (contacts, memos, etc), not
> doc files.

They can be text files too. These happen to be text files.

I can convert them back to text files using kpalmdoc with no problem as long as
I do it separately to each individual file and create a dummy filename for each
one first. So it can be done and it works.

It's a question of doing it more efficiently than having to create all of those
dummy files. There is an option to "Convert whole folders" if I could just
make it work.