Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Jim

Default Konqueror in SU mode

FC9, Kde-4.1
How do I run Konqueror as Super User.
It is very different to run konquerorSU in KDE-4.1 than KDE 3.5.
If I open SU in Console and then try to run /usr/bin/konqueror, it won't
run.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Dave Feustel

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:50:52PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> FC9, Kde-4.1
> How do I run Konqueror as Super User.

This is a Very Bad Idea. KDE and Konqueror have security holes.
I write this as one who prefers Konqueror to all other browsers
and KDE to any other desktop I've tried.
.
If you need to run a browser as root, log in on a virtual console
and run lynx.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Jim

Dave Feustel wrote:

This is a Very Bad Idea. KDE and Konqueror have security holes.
I write this as one who prefers Konqueror to all other browsers
and KDE to any other desktop I've tried.
.
If you need to run a browser as root, log in on a virtual console
and run lynx.

It is very different to run konquerorSU in KDE-4.1 than KDE 3.5.
If I open SU in Console and then try to run /usr/bin/konqueror, it won't
run.

I don't want to run Konqueror as a SU browser, I want run Konqueror as a
SU Filemanager.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jim <mickeyboa <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
> How do I run Konqueror as Super User.

/usr/libexec/kde4/kdesu konqueror

Don't ask us why kdesu is not in the search path for executables anymore, ask
KDE upstream.

Kevin Kofler

Old 08-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Claude Jones

On Tue August 26 2008 3:50:52 pm Jim wrote:
> FC9, Kde-4.1
> How do I run Konqueror as Super User.
> It is very different to run konquerorSU in KDE-4.1 than KDE 3.5.
> If I open SU in Console and then try to run /usr/bin/konqueror, it won't
> run.

This has been a on/off solution for me, currently on. I right-click the
konqueror icon in the menu and select 'add to panel' (since you're asking
about konqueror, I'm assuming you're running KDE); once the icon appears in
the panel, right click on it and select 'Icon settings'; go to the
'Application' tab; click on 'Advanced options' and there you can tell it to
run as a different user where you can type in 'root'. Close the advanced
options window and in the 'Command' field, you can change 'webbrowsing' to
'filemanagement' and then, close the settings window and try it.

What I've found is that it's hit and miss; sometimes this works, and sometimes
not; sometimes it works for awhile, and then stops working; it also sometimes
requires a logout/login to get it working again. Lately, it's been working
stably for me on this particular machine - I've seen the same behavior on
several machines doing this, and I haven't been able to pin down the reason. I
have another machine at my office where this is simply not working, even though
I'm doing exactly the same thing to set it up, so, good luck.
--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA

Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 23:21:52 Jim wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:50:52PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> >> FC9, Kde-4.1
> >> How do I run Konqueror as Super User.
> >
> > This is a Very Bad Idea. KDE and Konqueror have security holes.
> > I write this as one who prefers Konqueror to all other browsers
> > and KDE to any other desktop I've tried.
> > .
Details? I haven't heard of this, and would be surprised if any security
flaws had not been dealt with in the usual way.

> > If you need to run a browser as root, log in on a virtual console
> > and run lynx.
> >
> >> It is very different to run konquerorSU in KDE-4.1 than KDE 3.5.
> >> If I open SU in Console and then try to run /usr/bin/konqueror, it won't
> >> run.
>
> I don't want to run Konqueror as a SU browser, I want run Konqueror as a
> SU Filemanager.

It must be in the kickstart menu somewhere, but it's well hidden. I have it
on the Favorites page, so I must have found it, but I can't say where.
Mandriva put it under Tools > System Tools - maybe I'm just not seeing it in
Fedora? Anyway, if you can't find it, the other way is to launch it from a
root konsole - nothing special needed that way.

Anne

Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Jim

Anne Wilson wrote:

[...]

I have tried to launch it as SU from the console but it won't start in FC9.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 13:59:21 Jim wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> > Details? I haven't heard of this, and would be surprised if any security
> > flaws had not been dealt with in the usual way.

> >> I don't want to run Konqueror as a SU browser, I want run Konqueror as a
> >> SU Filemanager.
> >
> > It must be in the kickstart menu somewhere, but it's well hidden. I have
> > it on the Favorites page, so I must have found it, but I can't say where.
> > Mandriva put it under Tools > System Tools - maybe I'm just not seeing it
> > in Fedora? Anyway, if you can't find it, the other way is to launch it
> > from a root konsole - nothing special needed that way.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I have tried to launch it as SU from the console but it won't start in FC9.

Two possibilities, then. Maybe you forgot to use '-' ('su -') or maybe it is
not in your path, so you need the full path (/bin/su). I don't do this
directly because I have a root terminal profile which already has this set.

Anne

Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Dave Feustel

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 08:59:21AM -0400, Jim wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

>> Details? I haven't heard of this, and would be surprised if any
>> security flaws had not been dealt with in the usual way.

>>> I don't want to run Konqueror as a SU browser, I want run Konqueror as a
>>> SU Filemanager.
>>>

>> It must be in the kickstart menu somewhere, but it's well hidden. I
>> have it on the Favorites page, so I must have found it, but I can't say
>> where. Mandriva put it under Tools > System Tools - maybe I'm just not
>> seeing it in Fedora? Anyway, if you can't find it, the other way is to
>> launch it from a root konsole - nothing special needed that way.
>>
>> Anne
>>
> I have tried to launch it as SU from the console but it won't start in FC9.

Login as root, run startkde, when kde comes up, click on konqueror icon.
You will have to kill kdm before launching startkde.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 15:38:17 Dave Feustel wrote:
> > I have tried to launch it as SU from the console but it won't start in
> > FC9.
>
> Login as root, run startkde, when kde comes up, click on konqueror icon.
> You will have to kill kdm before launching startkde.

This is a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and dangerous to boot.

Anne