Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
"Alan Evans"

Default NetworkManager and special routing

Is there any way to get NetworkManager to configure a special route to
a particular host while still getting the rest from DHCP as it always
does?

On my old desktop (without NetworkManager), I just used
system-config-network and added the rule on the Route tab for the
connection. Now, Fedora9, I do that and NetworkManager stops managing
the connection. Ugh.

If NetworkManager is the way of the future, then I really want to
adopt it. But I really can't have packets to my own server travelling
through our default gateway, out over the wide internet through
servers hundreds of miles from here, just to be routed back into the
server room next door to my office.

Can this be done? Or is it time to give up (again) on NetworkManager
and fall back to the static configurations which, while bothersome, at
least work?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Phil Meyer

Alan Evans wrote:

[...]

If you use the system-config-network tool to manage the config, you may
need to edit the config by hand afterwards.

You need to check:

and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

to make sure that they include:

NM_CONTROLLED=yes

However, the system-config-network tool also edits
/etc/sysconfig/static-routes which is obeyed by NetworkManager (I believe).

Let us know if you get it working.

We have some systems here that use cell cards to dial out, but still
need access to internal networks via dhcp. We use
/etc/sysconfig/static-routes to manage that. These systems do NOT use
NetworkManager, but the principle should be the same.

Good Luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
"Alan Evans"

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
> However, the system-config-network tool also edits
> /etc/sysconfig/static-routes which is obeyed by NetworkManager (I believe).

I don't have /etc/sysconfig/static-routes. What's supposed to be in
that file? Or how do I coax system-config-network (or whatever) to
create it?

When I set up the route, system-config-network created
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0. The file is still there,
but NetworkManager apparently doesn't care about that one.

> Let us know if you get it working.
>
> We have some systems here that use cell cards to dial out, but still need
> access to internal networks via dhcp. We use /etc/sysconfig/static-routes
> to manage that. These systems do NOT use NetworkManager, but the principle
> should be the same.
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
"Alan Evans"

[adding fedora-list back into the reply chain]

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
> The file: /etc/sysconfig/static-routes is optional, and does not exist by
> default.
>
> #This line forces multicast out of eth1
> # any: net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth1
> # for the lab, uncomment the next two lines
> # This line forces a route to the local network
> # any: net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev eth0
> # This line will force a specific network over the primary interface
> # any: net NNN.NNN.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth0

Still no joy. But I'm still not sure I got it right. All of the
examples seem to demonstrate routing a particular network through a
particular interface. I only have one interface on this machine; what
I wish to do is specify a particular gateway for use for a particular
address. I tried:

any: net NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN netmask 255.255.255.255 gateway 192.168.0.3

as a guess, but nothing changed. Nothing in any log that I could find
seemed to indicate whether NetworkManager was even trying to read this
file.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Phil Meyer

Alan Evans wrote:

[...]

Well, for a single host, it would be something like this:

any: host 10.10.10.10 gateway 192.168.1.1

But the question is still whether or not NetworkManager will obey this file.

Worst case scenerio we can write a NM dispatcher script to do it:

in: /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/

create a file called static, chmod 755 static, and add: (NOT tested): I ripped the section from /etc/init.d/network.

#!/bin/sh

interface=$1
state=$2

case $state in
up)
# Add non interface-specific static-routes.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/static-routes ]; then
grep "^any" /etc/sysconfig/static-routes | while read ignore args ; do
/sbin/route add -$args
done
fi
;;

down) ;;

Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
"Alan Evans"

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
> Alan Evans wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@themeyerfarm.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The file: /etc/sysconfig/static-routes is optional, and does not exist by
>>> default.
>>>
>>> #This line forces multicast out of eth1
>>> # any: net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth1
>>> # for the lab, uncomment the next two lines
>>> # This line forces a route to the local network
>>> # any: net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev eth0
>>> # This line will force a specific network over the primary interface
>>> # any: net NNN.NNN.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth0
>>>

>> Still no joy. But I'm still not sure I got it right. All of the
>> examples seem to demonstrate routing a particular network through a
>> particular interface. I only have one interface on this machine; what
>> I wish to do is specify a particular gateway for use for a particular
>> address. I tried:
>>
>> any: net NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN netmask 255.255.255.255 gateway 192.168.0.3
>>
>> as a guess, but nothing changed. Nothing in any log that I could find
>> seemed to indicate whether NetworkManager was even trying to read this
>> file.
>>

> Well, for a single host, it would be something like this:
>
> any: host 10.10.10.10 gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> But the question is still whether or not NetworkManager will obey this file.

Still nothing at this point.

> Worst case scenerio we can write a NM dispatcher script to do it:
>
> in: /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/
>
> create a file called static, chmod 755 static, and add: (NOT tested): I
> ripped the section from /etc/init.d/network.
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> interface=$1
> state=$2
>
> case $state in
> up)
> # Add non interface-specific static-routes.
> if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/static-routes ]; then
> grep "^any" /etc/sysconfig/static-routes | while read ignore args ;
> do
> /sbin/route add -$args
> done
> fi
> ;;
>
> down) ;;

Well, this produces at least an error in /var/log/messages:

Aug 28 08:01:02 localhost nm-dispatcher.action: Script
'/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/static' exited with error status 2.

So that's something, anyway. I don't see any errors in the script, but
I confess that I'm a second-rate bash scripter.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
"Alan Evans"

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to get NetworkManager to configure a special route to
> a particular host while still getting the rest from DHCP as it always
> does?
>
> On my old desktop (without NetworkManager), I just used
> system-config-network and added the rule on the Route tab for the
> connection. Now, Fedora9, I do that and NetworkManager stops managing
> the connection. Ugh.
>
> If NetworkManager is the way of the future, then I really want to
> adopt it. But I really can't have packets to my own server travelling
> through our default gateway, out over the wide internet through
> servers hundreds of miles from here, just to be routed back into the
> server room next door to my office.
>
> Can this be done? Or is it time to give up (again) on NetworkManager
> and fall back to the static configurations which, while bothersome, at
> least work?

Thanks for all the help from Phil Meyer. I'd like to get the new
method working, but unfortunately I don't have time to dink with it an
longer. *sigh*

I simply disabled NetworkManager, enabled the classic network service,
and configured my static route from the convenient GUI. Done.

Hopefully, NM will allow this simple configuration explicitly in the
future, rather than requiring expert intervention and editing of
config files (some of which don't exist in the install and must be
created from scratch!) still coming to no solution.

Later. Thanks again...