Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
"Dan Track"

Default NFS info

Hi

I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:44:05 +0100
Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?

You'll get better answers if you give more details about exactly what you're
trying to do and how you're doing it.

Why, for example, does the nfs server not respond? Perhaps that's the first
problem that you need to resolve.

If you need to move the nfs mount to the last stage of the boot process for
some reason you could put a mount command into /etc/rc.local. To prevent
hanging, use an &

Now to prevent something from hanging when it wants to use /opt/logs and it's
not available, that's a different problem and the best answer there is: make
it available. Solve the issue with the nfs server that's causing it to be
unavailable, or set up some kind of a fail-over for it.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Joseph Loo

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:44 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

I use the soft,intr options on my nfs mounts.
To me the best way is not to mount the directory unless you need to. I
use autofs to do the mounts for me. That way, when I need to mount the
nfs directory, it will automatically mount and unmount the directory.
This works whenever I reference the directory, e.g., ls /opt/log. this
will cause a mount. I also have a 60 second timeout, so that if I do not
use the mount, it will unmount the directory automatically.
--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org

Old 08-27-2008, 04:42 PM
"Dan Track"

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Joseph Loo <jloo@acm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:44 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
>> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
>> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
>> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
>> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>>
> I use the soft,intr options on my nfs mounts.
> To me the best way is not to mount the directory unless you need to. I
> use autofs to do the mounts for me. That way, when I need to mount the
> nfs directory, it will automatically mount and unmount the directory.
> This works whenever I reference the directory, e.g., ls /opt/log. this
> will cause a mount. I also have a 60 second timeout, so that if I do not
> use the mount, it will unmount the directory automatically.
> --
> Joseph Loo
> jloo@acm.org

Hi

Thanks for the info. I agree with the fact that source of the problem
should be addressed, it's just that the nfs share isn't critical while
the applications running on the server are, so from a worse case
scenario we just want the server up even if we can't get the nfs
shares mounted.

As a point, could you let me know why we can't mount a critical path
e.g /usr/local/lib using autofs? Wouldn't any request e.g from a
script or from cron or any other process cause the path to be mounted?
Is there any problesm with this approach?

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Joseph Loo

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 17:42 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Joseph Loo <jloo@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:44 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
> >> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
> >> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
> >> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
> >> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Dan
> >>
> > I use the soft,intr options on my nfs mounts.
> > To me the best way is not to mount the directory unless you need to. I
> > use autofs to do the mounts for me. That way, when I need to mount the
> > nfs directory, it will automatically mount and unmount the directory.
> > This works whenever I reference the directory, e.g., ls /opt/log. this
> > will cause a mount. I also have a 60 second timeout, so that if I do not
> > use the mount, it will unmount the directory automatically.
> > --
> > Joseph Loo
> > jloo@acm.org
>

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the info. I agree with the fact that source of the problem
> should be addressed, it's just that the nfs share isn't critical while
> the applications running on the server are, so from a worse case
> scenario we just want the server up even if we can't get the nfs
> shares mounted.
>
> As a point, could you let me know why we can't mount a critical path
> e.g /usr/local/lib using autofs? Wouldn't any request e.g from a
> script or from cron or any other process cause the path to be mounted?
> Is there any problesm with this approach?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

When I was an administrator for solaris, I would do the autofs on
the /opt directory which is the equivalnet of /usr/local. As of this
time, I do not see any problem.

You miss the point of autofs. As soon as you access the path, it does
the automount before it allows you to continue. you do not need to mount
it from a script. For example, I have /home/username setup to automount.
As soon as I log on, it mounts it automatically.

Another advantage of autofs, you can do the following
ls /net/machinename/qualified_path_of_your_exported_directory.

You can also link to the /net path and it will also automount.
--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org