Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Alin Fang

Default a doubt of grub ..about stage1 stage1.5 stage2

Hello, all.
I do this test:
=================================
1:
A new PC never run grub-install before .
rm /boot/grub/*stage*
reboot

Is OK. Grub can run and can load kernel.

================================

2
grub-install /dev/sda
rm /boot/grub/*stage*
reboot

you can see : grub can not load stage2.

========================
I know that : grub load kernel by this way :
stage1
/
stage2 stage1.5

stage2

But I don't know : how grub chose one ?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:50 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Alin Fang wrote:
> Hello, all.
> I do this test:
> =================================
> 1:
> A new PC never run grub-install before .
> rm /boot/grub/*stage*
> reboot
>
> Is OK. Grub can run and can load kernel.
>

> ================================
>
> 2
> grub-install /dev/sda
> rm /boot/grub/*stage*
> reboot
>
> you can see : grub can not load stage2.
>
> ========================
> I know that : grub load kernel by this way :
> stage1
> /
> stage2 stage1.5
>
> stage2
>
> But I don't know : how grub chose one ?

I thought that the installer would use stage 1.5 as long as it was
being installed to a file system there was a stage 1.5 for, unless
you specified otherwise.

Mikkel