Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM

Default FEDORA8: NOT GETTING TO DESKTOP AFTER MAKING LOGIN

HI,

I am using fedora 8 and facing a serious trouble of Not getting on to my
desktop or getting to it after 10 ? 15 minutes. I have reinstalled fedora
8 and it has started showing me the same problem again but after a month
of daily usage. The system is generally used for around 10 hours per day
and fedora is being used as a SERVER OS to run MYSQL(auto start) &
JBOSS(started manually in terminal - no auto start). It has been confirmed
from an engineer that there is no hardware problem.

During booting of Fedora almost all the processes starts very quickly and
I am being directed to the login window within minutes. But PROBLEM STARTS
AFTER THIS WHEN I MAKE LOGIN EITHER THROUGH ROOT OR AS A NORMAL USER THEN
IT DOES NOT SHOW DESKTOP FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. the shocking thing is
that this problem is not consistent i.e. it happens sometimes and not on a
regular basis. But if it happens then my jboss does not work.

FACT:
Following 2 files always give a me failure report but still without them
my system reaches to desktop quickly. SO THESE SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS
A REASON BEHIND THE PROBLEM.

During booting of fedora the file that does not start is as follows:
Cups [failed]
During shutting down of fedora the file that does not stop is as follows:
Irqbalance [failed]

Can somebody give me a solution to this problem?..????

Best Regards,
Ankur

Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
fedora

you may have a problem to start X Window.
try to boot into runlevel 3 (wihout X), then you already have a
character based desktop. from there you may call X using startx and stop
X using CTRL-ALT-BKSP.

this may help you to find the error.

suomi

Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
"Xue Xg"

You can see error information in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

you may have a problem to start X Window.
try to boot into rYounlevel 3 (wihout X), then you already have a character based desktop. from there you may call X using startx and stop X using CTRL-ALT-BKSP.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Stuart Sears

ankur@chivalrysystems.com wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am using fedora 8 and facing a serious trouble of Not getting on to my
> desktop or getting to it after 10 – 15 minutes. I have reinstalled fedora
> 8 and it has started showing me the same problem again but after a month
> of daily usage. The system is generally used for around 10 hours per day
> and fedora is being used as a SERVER OS to run MYSQL(auto start) &
> JBOSS(started manually in terminal - no auto start). It has been confirmed
> from an engineer that there is no hardware problem.
>
> During booting of Fedora almost all the processes starts very quickly and
> I am being directed to the login window within minutes. But PROBLEM STARTS
> AFTER THIS WHEN I MAKE LOGIN EITHER THROUGH ROOT OR AS A NORMAL USER THEN
> IT DOES NOT SHOW DESKTOP FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. the shocking thing is
> that this problem is not consistent i.e. it happens sometimes and not on a
> regular basis. But if it happens then my jboss does not work.

Is this a GNOME desktop?

It could easily be network-related. Check your DNS settings and make
sure that they work properly.

Incidentally there really is NO NEED TO SHOUT if you can avoid it.

regards,

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHC*