Old 08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Chris Tyler

Default The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

This has been an interesting discussion, including some good tangents. I
think there's a general consensus that a tighter focus on
encouragement/advice/assistance (which shapes up as "support" without
saying "support", and meaning support in more than just a pure-technical
sense).

Based on this discussion I've changed the list description to read:

fedora-list: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for
using Fedora.

This means that extended threads on philosophical and political topics
are off-topic for this list. There are other lists, such as
fedora-advisory-board, for discussion of these very valid issues, and
proposals for the creation of a new list are welcome (though some groan
at the prospect of yet another list, so I suspect you'd have to make a
strong case!).

There have also been a couple of offers to help with the list ownership
(thank you!). Paul and I will reply privately to those volunteers early
next week.

-Chris

Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Bill Davidsen

Paul W. Frields wrote:

Chris Tyler wrote:

This list, fedora-list@redhat.com, is one of the first lists that most
Fedora users join, and therefore quite important to the community.
However, it's a high-volume list (and is sometimes perceived to have a
high noise level), so many veterans of the Fedora community aren't
subscribed.

As the result of discussion at the last public (IRC) board meeting, it's
been proposed that narrow the scope of this list a bit. The current
description of this list simply reads:

fedora-users: For users of Fedora

The proposed replacement is:

fedora-users: Help and support for using the Fedora distribution.

Feedback on this proposed change is welcome.
Historically we have avoided using the word "support" because for many
people, it implied commercial support and to differentiate Fedora from
RHEL. Not sure that is a problem anymore. Maybe the following is better:

"Community help and assistance for using the Fedora distribution of Linux"

"Help" and "assistance" are synonyms, so using both would be redundant.
The word "support" would be more in line with "succor" (um, no) or
"encouragement" (hey, that might work!).

Lately I think "sympathy" would be appropriate. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 PM