Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM
John Austin

Default Audio Problems with VLC and Fedora 8

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 14:26 -0800, Hugh Caley wrote:
> Having some audio problems with VLC in Fedora 8. While listening to mp3
> radio stations, the sound will eventually become blasts of white noise.
> Also, mp4 files (such as iTunes store files with DRM) are choppy.
>
> I'm using the livna vlc files:
>
> vlc-core-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
> vlc-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
>
> No such problems with xmms:
>
> xmms-mp3-1.2.10-5.lvn6
> xmms-faad2-2.0-21.20050131.lvn8
> xmms-libs-1.2.10-36.fc7
> xmms-1.2.10-36.fc7
>
> --
> Hugh Caley, Linux Administrator
> Aldon Computer Group
> 6001 Shellmound St. Suite 600
> Emeryville, CA 94608
>
> (510) 285-8542 | hughc@aldon.com

I found this helped (F8 x86-64)

Work around for vlc poor sound !!!!!!!!!!
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/7710121/out.ogg
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-lib/+bug/103025

Just set Prefs/Audio/Output modules to Linux OSS audio output
Remember to either scroll or enlarge the window to see
the pull down menu !!!!!!!!!

John

Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Karl Larsen

Hugh Caley wrote:
Having some audio problems with VLC in Fedora 8. While listening to
mp3 radio stations, the sound will eventually become blasts of white
noise. Also, mp4 files (such as iTunes store files with DRM) are choppy.

I'm using the livna vlc files:

vlc-core-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
vlc-0.8.6d-3.lvn8

No such problems with xmms:

xmms-mp3-1.2.10-5.lvn6
xmms-faad2-2.0-21.20050131.lvn8
xmms-libs-1.2.10-36.fc7
xmms-1.2.10-36.fc7

That is the new pulseaudio problem. I found out how to remove at least
part of it and my VLC is working fine in F8 again.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Hugh Caley

Very good. Perhaps you could share your partial solution with the rest
of us? You removed part of pulse audio?

Oh, and typo below: I meant ITunes store files WITHOUT DRM.

Hugh