Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 PM
"Amadeus W.M."

Default OT Electronics Help

You're looking for home automation from linux. There is a reference page
for that:

http://www.linuxha.com/

As someone else said, you may prefer something else than X10, but you'll
find many leads on that page.

A company that sells hardware for this kind of stuff is Smarthome:

http://www.smarthome.com/_/index.aspx

Another is X10.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Sam Varshavchik

aragonx@dcsnow.com writes:

Okay so this is way off topic but I need some help. I tried doing a
Google search but I don't know enough to get my query right.

I have several external components that I would like to come on when my
computer comes on. I would also like them to go off when my computer goes
off. Some sort of electronic switch that I could plug in to one of my
PC's spare 4 pin power plugs work work fine.

Funny, I just installed a UPS, a.k.a. uninterruptible power supply, a.k.a.
battery backup, for one of my servers, and it apparently has exactly what
you're looking for. This particular model, made by APC, has an optional
"master" electrical outlet that controls three "slave" outlet, at least as
far as I can make out the documentation. You plug your components into the
slave outlets, the UPS supplies power to the slave outlets only when it
detects that whatever you plugged into the master outlets is actually
drawing power.

Google "APC UPS master control".

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Funny, I just installed a UPS, a.k.a. uninterruptible power supply,
> a.k.a. battery backup, for one of my servers, and it apparently has
> exactly what you're looking for. This particular model, made by APC, has
> an optional "master" electrical outlet that controls three "slave"
> outlet, at least as far as I can make out the documentation. You plug
> your components into the slave outlets, the UPS supplies power to the
> slave outlets only when it detects that whatever you plugged into the
> master outlets is actually drawing power.
>
> Google "APC UPS master control".

I don't know if they still make them, but there used to be power
strips like that. The first ones I ran into were for stereo systems
and later they sold them for computers. Even Radio Shack sold them
at on time. They had an adjustment in the back to set the turn on
current level.

Mikkel

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:55:14 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> I don't know if they still make them, but there used to be power
> strips like that.

The slickest network-controlled power strips that I'm aware of are these:

http://www.webpowerswitch.com/

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 AM

> aragonx@dcsnow.com wrote:
>> Okay so this is way off topic but I need some help. I tried doing a
>> Google search but I don't know enough to get my query right.
>>
>> I have several external components that I would like to come on when my
>> computer comes on. I would also like them to go off when my computer
>> goes
>> off. Some sort of electronic switch that I could plug in to one of my
>> PC's spare 4 pin power plugs work work fine.
>>
>> To make things a little more complicated (and Linux related) I would
>> also
>> like this. I have a water cooling system with a variable voltage water
>> pump. It would be nice if I could simply poll lmsensors and have a
>> program bump up the voltage until the CPU is below a certain
>> temperature.
>>
>> Does anyone know where I should start? I don't mind wiring up something
>> myself as long as I know what components I should be looking at.
>>
>> Thanks for the help in advance.
>>

> http://www.hackaday.com/2008/08/18/usb-switched-power-strip/

Now THIS is the kind of geeky response I was hoping for. A good first
step. Now I just need to control the current.

Thanks.

believed to be clean.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 AM

Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

aragonx@dcsnow.com wrote:
> Okay so this is way off topic but I need some help. I tried doing a
> Google search but I don't know enough to get my query right.
>
> I have several external components that I would like to come on when my
> computer comes on. I would also like them to go off when my computer goes
> off. Some sort of electronic switch that I could plug in to one of my
> PC's spare 4 pin power plugs work work fine.
>
> To make things a little more complicated (and Linux related) I would also
> like this. I have a water cooling system with a variable voltage water
> pump. It would be nice if I could simply poll lmsensors and have a
> program bump up the voltage until the CPU is below a certain temperature.
>
> Does anyone know where I should start? I don't mind wiring up something
> myself as long as I know what components I should be looking at.
>
> Thanks for the help in advance.

For switching AC from your 12VDC output, you may find something like:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SSRLY-42/40-AMP-SOLID-STATE-RELAY/1.html

For your cooling setup, you may want to look at a D-to-A converter
driving a power transistor. You will have to search for the current
products - it has been a while sense I have looked into them.

Mikkel

Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 AM