Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Mike McCarty

Default Format /dev/dsp expects?

Can anyone tell me what formats /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp56k,
/dev/audio, etc. expect? It seems that I can copy
a WAV format file directly to /dev/dsp and get recognizable
sound. I wonder just what format they actually expect.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:26:25 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what formats /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp56k,
> /dev/audio, etc. expect? It seems that I can copy
> a WAV format file directly to /dev/dsp and get recognizable
> sound. I wonder just what format they actually expect.

/dev/audio used to accept -law encoding, /dev/dsp accepts raw pcm as
configured via ioctl. The device doesn't evaluate any WAV header.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Mike McCarty

Michael Schwendt wrote:

Can anyone tell me what formats /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp56k,
/dev/audio, etc. expect? It seems that I can copy
a WAV format file directly to /dev/dsp and get recognizable
sound. I wonder just what format they actually expect.

/dev/audio used to accept µ-law encoding, /dev/dsp accepts raw pcm as
configured via ioctl. The device doesn't evaluate any WAV header.

Thanks! So, if I want to use sox, I can specify the output to be
/dev/dsp and raw, and the input format to be whatever corresponds.

Mike