Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
"Arun Shrimali"

Default Page Maker Files ???

Dear All,

I have a large number of Adobe Page Maker files. I would like to convert / import them to Open Office. Does anybody know any utility which can help me in converting my files.

Regards

Arun

Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 AM
"TV Sivaraman"

Hi:
Try using Scribus to import Page Maker Files, I do not think OO can import these files. Scribus is a DTP like Page Maker and is now part of FC9 distribution. If it is not installed in your system, find out if installed by sudo rpm -q scribus, use yum install scribus.

Sivaraman.

I have a large number of Adobe Page Maker files. I would like to convert / import them to Open Office. Does anybody know any utility which can help me in converting my files.

Regards

Arun

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,

Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA
Ph. No. 91-542-2276605
919451273108

Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Craig White

I'm not sure why you would toss out an answer that you don't know works
or even bother to check...

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Why_Scribus_doesn%
27t_support_QuarkXpress_and_other_major_publishing _applications

to the original poster...short answer is that you can't really do that.

You might be able to print them to PDF or to an EPS file and then edit
the PDF - but I doubt it's possible. If you need to get the text out of
the files, you probably could print them to PDF from Pagemaker and then
use something like pdftk to get the text out of it.

Scribus is a very good program - clearly not up to Pagemaker, In Design
or Quark Express standards but certainly usable in its own right.

Craig

Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
"Arun Shrimali"

Thanks for the short answer ...........
But another options encaurage me to do experiments.
I have the Pagemaker files that has text and images, printing them to PDF or EPS, does I further edit the PDF files with some editor (pl suggest one, I think OO3.0 is coming with PDF editor )

Thanks

Arun

Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:07:45 +0530
Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:

> printing them to PDF or
> EPS, does I further edit the PDF files with some editor (pl suggest one, I
> think OO3.0 is coming with PDF editor )

pdfedit is available via yum (just do "yum install pdfedit") but I'm not sure
that it's up to much. I looked at it some time back and didn't find it
particularly useful, though that may have changed.

gimp can also open pdf files for editing. You probably already have that
installed.

Note that what you'll end up with is a static graphic of some kind. So if you
have a 20-page PDF file you'll get 20 images out of it that you can then place
on a Scribus page. Depending on the nature of the material that you're moving
into Scribus, this may be satisfactory or it may not.

You will probably obtain the best results by taking the graphics and content
that you originally used to lay out the Pagemaker files and re-do it from
scratch in Scribus. But of course that's the most labour-intensive method and
it may or may not be necessary, again depending on the nature of your material
and the result that you want to achieve.