Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 AM
Craig White

Default CNN Video - Flash

If it makes anyone feel better, Ubuntu Hardy, FF3, Flash plugin from
Adobe...CNN Video doesn't work a lick. At least on Fedora, it tries to
work (but does fail after a little while). Youtube does work though.

Craig

Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:18 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> If it makes anyone feel better, Ubuntu Hardy, FF3, Flash plugin from
> Adobe...CNN Video doesn't work a lick. At least on Fedora, it tries to
> work (but does fail after a little while). Youtube does work though.

I haven't managed to make CNN video work on Fedora 8, ever.

Youtube works fine, though; never a glitch.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Ed Greshko

Craig White wrote:

If it makes anyone feel better, Ubuntu Hardy, FF3, Flash plugin from
Adobe...CNN Video doesn't work a lick. At least on Fedora, it tries to
work (but does fail after a little while). Youtube does work though.

FWIW, I just downloaded and installed the Adobe Flash RPM version. The
aboutlugins shows:

Shockwave Flash

File name: nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

I then went to cnn video and watches several videos without problem. FWIW,
my system is a 32-bit system.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Ed Greshko

Ed Greshko wrote:

Craig White wrote:

If it makes anyone feel better, Ubuntu Hardy, FF3, Flash plugin from
Adobe...CNN Video doesn't work a lick. At least on Fedora, it tries to
work (but does fail after a little while). Youtube does work though.

FWIW, I just downloaded and installed the Adobe Flash RPM version. The
aboutlugins shows:

Shockwave Flash

File name: nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

I then went to cnn video and watches several videos without problem.
FWIW, my system is a 32-bit system.

Ooops... Sorry, I seem to have expected everyone to connect what I've said
here with another thread. :-)

The system I am now talking about is a fully updated F9 system.

--
Logic is the chastity belt of the mind!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Ed Greshko

Craig White wrote:

If it makes anyone feel better, Ubuntu Hardy, FF3, Flash plugin from
Adobe...CNN Video doesn't work a lick. At least on Fedora, it tries to
work (but does fail after a little while). Youtube does work though.
FWIW, I just downloaded and installed the Adobe Flash RPM version. The
aboutlugins shows:

Shockwave Flash

File name: nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

I then went to cnn video and watches several videos without problem. FWIW,
my system is a 32-bit system.

----
F9 ? FF3 ?

Yes... Fully updated F9 and FF 3.0.1-1.fc9

Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:19:31 +0800
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> I then went to cnn video and watches several videos without problem. FWIW,
> my system is a 32-bit system.

I never have any problems as long as I run 32 bit firefox with no
nspluginwrapper. I know I'm supposed to be able to run 32 bit
firefox on my 64 bit system, but I can't ever seem to get that
working the way it is "supposed" to work, however if I run a script
which sets all LD_LIBRARY_PATH stuff to point to my 32 bit
boot partition, that does seem to work. The nspluginwrapper
is a separate problem - I keep running into random flash apps
which send the wrapper into 100% cpu loops (though I can't say
UI've ever seen that on cnn videos).

Firefox is one of the things I never understood why any distros
bother to ship a 64 bit version. I can't imagine there are any
48 gigabyte web pages you might need a 64 bit browser to display
and as long as all the plugins people actually need seem to only
come in 32 bit versions, a 64 bit browser is a bit of a pain
(on the other hand, I use it most of the time because I don't
want flash working :-).

Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 13:19 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > If it makes anyone feel better, Ubuntu Hardy, FF3, Flash plugin from
> > Adobe...CNN Video doesn't work a lick. At least on Fedora, it tries to
> > work (but does fail after a little while). Youtube does work though.
>
> FWIW, I just downloaded and installed the Adobe Flash RPM version. The
> aboutlugins shows:
>
> Shockwave Flash
>
> File name: nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124
>
> I then went to cnn video and watches several videos without problem. FWIW,
> my system is a 32-bit system.
----
F9 ? FF3 ?

Craig