Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Frank Cox

Default time stupidity

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 03:33:58 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> Is it possible that one of them uses UTC and the other doesn't and how
> do I verify/change so I don't have to reset the clock each time I
> switch?

What's your local time in relation to UTC? If one of them says that's what
time it is, then you've got your answer.

I would see what time your bios thinks it is and go from there. If it's only
out by an hour you might have a daylight saving time issue. Do bioses do
daylight saving time? I have no idea.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 AM
Russell Miller

Craig White wrote:

this probably would have been clearer...

# diff -s /etc/localtime /mnt/ubuntu/etc/localtime
Files /etc/localtime and /mnt/ubuntu/etc/localtime are identical

Craig

Are the times different in the hardware clock?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 20:59 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > this probably would have been clearer...
> >
> > # diff -s /etc/localtime /mnt/ubuntu/etc/localtime
> > Files /etc/localtime and /mnt/ubuntu/etc/localtime are identical
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Are the times different in the hardware clock?
----
it's the same computer/hardware clock (dual boot) - sorry if I wasn't
clear. I just booted from Ubuntu and the clock remained...perhaps that
means things are good now.

Craig

Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 21:03 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 20:59 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> > > this probably would have been clearer...
> > >
> > > # diff -s /etc/localtime /mnt/ubuntu/etc/localtime
> > > Files /etc/localtime and /mnt/ubuntu/etc/localtime are identical
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >

> > Are the times different in the hardware clock?
> ----
> it's the same computer/hardware clock (dual boot) - sorry if I wasn't
> clear. I just booted from Ubuntu and the clock remained...perhaps that
> means things are good now.
----
crap...the clock moves ahead 7 hours when I boot Fedora ;-( that is my
offset from GMT

I need someone to toss me a bone here...

Craig

Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 22:33:14 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> crap...the clock moves ahead 7 hours when I boot Fedora ;-( that is my
> offset from GMT
>
> I need someone to toss me a bone here...

How about a SWAG: (1)

ntpd issue?

***
(1)scientific wild-assed guess

Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Russell Miller

Craig White wrote:

crap...the clock moves ahead 7 hours when I boot Fedora ;-( that is my
offset from GMT

I need someone to toss me a bone here...

Craig

Have you checked /etc/sysconfig/clock? How about /etc/adjtime?

--Russell

Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Russell Miller

Craig White wrote:

crap...the clock moves ahead 7 hours when I boot Fedora ;-( that is my
offset from GMT

I need someone to toss me a bone here...

Craig

Another stupid question: Is your TZ variable being set somewhere?

--Russell

Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 22:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > crap...the clock moves ahead 7 hours when I boot Fedora ;-( that is my
> > offset from GMT
> >
> > I need someone to toss me a bone here...
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Have you checked /etc/sysconfig/clock?
----
doesn't exist in ubuntu...don't know about this
----
> How about /etc/adjtime?
----
bing!

# diff /etc/adjtime /mnt/ubuntu/etc/adjtime
1,3c1,3
< 0.781375 1219642281 0.000000
< 1219642281
< LOCAL
---
> 0.002028 1219638615 0.000000
> 1219638615
> UTC

appears that I need to have symmetry in either UTC or LOCAL

Thanks

Craig

Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Frank Cox