Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

Default Adobe Flash only works sometimes

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 16:23 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin
>> installed. For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine
>> (Youtube, etc). However, there are some websites where flash doesn't
>> work at all. When I end up at a website where its not working, I have
>> a big white square where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I
>> get a nasty error that I need to install Flash.
>>
>> >From what I can tell, this appears to be due to some mime-type
>> handling retardation in Firefox3. If I go to Edit -> Preferences ->
>> Applications, there are two different entries for Flash, "Flash video"
>> and "SWF file". The "SWF file" entry is auto-populated with "Use
>> Shockwave Flash", however the "Flash video" entry keeps defaulting to
>> "Movie player (default)", and Shockwave Flash isn't even a choice in
>> the menu.
>>
>> I've (re)installed Firefox-2.x for debugging purposes, and the same
>> exact flash plugin works perfectly there, so this has to be something
>> specific to firefox 3.
>>
>> Anyone run across this?
> ----
> that seems fairly normal though you might want to install totem-xine
> package and then you can register xine as backend with 'totem-backend -b
> xine' command.
>
> (my setup registers totem-web-browser-plugin as the player for the mime
> type video/flv)

This is normal behavior? It seems completely broken to me. I
definitely shouldn't have to install xine to get flash to work, when
i've already got the flash plugin installed (and it works in firefox2
without any issues).

Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:23:05 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> Greetings,
> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin installed.
> For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine (Youtube, etc).
> However, there are some websites where flash doesn't work at all. When
> I end up at a website where its not working, I have a big white square
> where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I get a nasty error
> that I need to install Flash.
>
>>From what I can tell, this appears to be due to some mime-type
> handling retardation in Firefox3. If I go to Edit -> Preferences ->
> Applications, there are two different entries for Flash, "Flash video"
> and "SWF file". The "SWF file" entry is auto-populated with "Use
> Shockwave Flash", however the "Flash video" entry keeps defaulting to
> "Movie player (default)", and Shockwave Flash isn't even a choice in the
> menu.
>
> I've (re)installed Firefox-2.x for debugging purposes, and the same
> exact flash plugin works perfectly there, so this has to be something
> specific to firefox 3.
>
> Anyone run across this?
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ L.
> Friedman netllama@gmail.com
> LlamaLand https://netllama.linux-sxs.org

I've had the same problem for some time and I kind of gave up on it. CNN
is one notorious site that doesn't work for me. Invariably, any video
either blanks out or tries to skip to the next one in the list. However, I
noticed that if I reload the page several times, it eventually plays.
That's the only way to watch cnn video for me. Strange, isn't it? Google
video mostly works, occasionally though I run into clips where I see the
same behavior (probably linked to google video from other sites).

I mentioned about this problem long ago and I got no useful hint,
unfortunately.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Tim

Lonni J Friedman:
>> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin installed.
>> For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine (Youtube, etc).
>> However, there are some websites where flash doesn't work at all. When
>> I end up at a website where its not working, I have a big white square
>> where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I get a nasty error
>> that I need to install Flash.

Amadeus W.M.:
> I've had the same problem for some time and I kind of gave up on it. CNN
> is one notorious site that doesn't work for me. Invariably, any video
> either blanks out or tries to skip to the next one in the list. However, I
> noticed that if I reload the page several times, it eventually plays.

I get the same with youtube. Often I'll get Flash appear to load, then
vanish, leaving a blank space, and several page reloads will be needed
to kick it back into working. Occasionally, the failure will happen
part way into playing the file, with the same blank space effect and
reloading required. Rarely I'll be told I don't have Flash installed,
but seeing as that happens so rarely, I've put that down to stupid
webmasters doing stupid tests. And there are a few sites where the
player just never works.

Perhaps related: If on youtube I ope another page in a background tab
while playing a video, the playing video will often abort (in the above
manner).

I get the impression that the Flash player crashes really easily.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:54 AM
William Case

Hi Lonni;

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 16:23 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> Greetings,
> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin
> installed. For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine
> (Youtube, etc). However, there are some websites where flash doesn't
> work at all. When I end up at a website where its not working, I have
> a big white square where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I
> get a nasty error that I need to install Flash.
>
> >From what I can tell, this appears to be due to some mime-type
> handling retardation in Firefox3. If I go to Edit -> Preferences ->
> Applications, there are two different entries for Flash, "Flash video"
> and "SWF file". The "SWF file" entry is auto-populated with "Use
> Shockwave Flash", however the "Flash video" entry keeps defaulting to
> "Movie player (default)", and Shockwave Flash isn't even a choice in
> the menu.
>
> I've (re)installed Firefox-2.x for debugging purposes, and the same
> exact flash plugin works perfectly there, so this has to be something
> specific to firefox 3.
>
> Anyone run across this?

Yes, I had the same problem. The fix is in the Fedora 9 release notes.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/

Section 10.5.1. Enabling Flash Plugin

If this works for you, pass it on. I got this advice originally from
someone else on this list.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 02:10 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>
>> I've had the same problem for some time and I kind of gave up on it. CNN
>> is one notorious site that doesn't work for me. Invariably, any video
>> either blanks out or tries to skip to the next one in the list. However, I
>> noticed that if I reload the page several times, it eventually plays.
>> That's the only way to watch cnn video for me. Strange, isn't it? Google
>> video mostly works, occasionally though I run into clips where I see the
>> same behavior (probably linked to google video from other sites).
>>
>> I mentioned about this problem long ago and I got no useful hint,
>> unfortunately.
> ----
> that really is a problem with flash so your best bet is to take it up
> with Adobe (though I gather there's a beta of Flash 10 for Linux either
> available or available soon).

As I mentioned, using the same exact plugin in firefox2, it works
perfectly 100% of the time. I've also tried the beta of Flash10, and
the same problem persists. I'm blaming firefox3 for this mess.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi Lonni;
>
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 16:23 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin
>> installed. For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine
>> (Youtube, etc). However, there are some websites where flash doesn't
>> work at all. When I end up at a website where its not working, I have
>> a big white square where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I
>> get a nasty error that I need to install Flash.
>>
>> >From what I can tell, this appears to be due to some mime-type
>> handling retardation in Firefox3. If I go to Edit -> Preferences ->
>> Applications, there are two different entries for Flash, "Flash video"
>> and "SWF file". The "SWF file" entry is auto-populated with "Use
>> Shockwave Flash", however the "Flash video" entry keeps defaulting to
>> "Movie player (default)", and Shockwave Flash isn't even a choice in
>> the menu.
>>
>> I've (re)installed Firefox-2.x for debugging purposes, and the same
>> exact flash plugin works perfectly there, so this has to be something
>> specific to firefox 3.
>>
>> Anyone run across this?
>>
> Yes, I had the same problem. The fix is in the Fedora 9 release notes.
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/
>
> Section 10.5.1. Enabling Flash Plugin
>
> If this works for you, pass it on. I got this advice originally from
> someone else on this list.

That's not it. It works fine on some websites, and not for others.
It works perfectly 100% of the time everywhere in firefox2.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:10:18 +0930, Tim wrote:

> Lonni J Friedman:
>>> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin
>>> installed.
>>> For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine (Youtube, etc).
>>> However, there are some websites where flash doesn't work at all.
>>> When I end up at a website where its not working, I have a big white
>>> square where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I get a nasty
>>> error that I need to install Flash.
>

> Amadeus W.M.:
>> I've had the same problem for some time and I kind of gave up on it.
>> CNN is one notorious site that doesn't work for me. Invariably, any
>> video either blanks out or tries to skip to the next one in the list.
>> However, I noticed that if I reload the page several times, it
>> eventually plays.
>
> I get the same with youtube. Often I'll get Flash appear to load, then
> vanish, leaving a blank space, and several page reloads will be needed
> to kick it back into working. Occasionally, the failure will happen
> part way into playing the file, with the same blank space effect and
> reloading required. Rarely I'll be told I don't have Flash installed,
> but seeing as that happens so rarely, I've put that down to stupid
> webmasters doing stupid tests. And there are a few sites where the
> player just never works.
>
> Perhaps related: If on youtube I ope another page in a background tab
> while playing a video, the playing video will often abort (in the above
> manner).
>
> I get the impression that the Flash player crashes really easily.
>
> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
> read messages from the public lists.

How about these sites:

https://www.citicards.com/
http://www.dbfx.com

firefox -debug

shows

*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: NPN_ReleaseObject() invoke: Message type
invalid
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_WriteReady() invoke: Message type
invalid
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Write() invoke: Message type invalid
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_DestroyStream() invoke: Message type
invalid

(firefox:27316): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_remove_internal: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_URLNotify() invoke: Connection reset
by peer
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPObject 0xad42ff0 is not valid!
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPObject 0xad42ff0 is not valid!

and it goes on and on.

Is the bug/configuration problem with nspluginwrapper rather than flash?

I ran mozilla-plugin-conf -v and I got a bunch of FAILs, many (if not all)
of which have to do with totem or some totem libraries.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:10:18 +0930, Tim wrote:
>
>> Lonni J Friedman:
>>

>> Amadeus W.M.:
>>> I've had the same problem for some time and I kind of gave up on it.
>>> CNN is one notorious site that doesn't work for me. Invariably, any
>>> video either blanks out or tries to skip to the next one in the list.
>>> However, I noticed that if I reload the page several times, it
>>> eventually plays.
>>
>> I get the same with youtube. Often I'll get Flash appear to load, then
>> vanish, leaving a blank space, and several page reloads will be needed
>> to kick it back into working. Occasionally, the failure will happen
>> part way into playing the file, with the same blank space effect and
>> reloading required. Rarely I'll be told I don't have Flash installed,
>> but seeing as that happens so rarely, I've put that down to stupid
>> webmasters doing stupid tests. And there are a few sites where the
>> player just never works.
>>
>> Perhaps related: If on youtube I ope another page in a background tab
>> while playing a video, the playing video will often abort (in the above
>> manner).
>>
>> I get the impression that the Flash player crashes really easily.
>>
>> --
>> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
>> 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
>>
>> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
>> read messages from the public lists.
>
> How about these sites:
>
> https://www.citicards.com/
> http://www.dbfx.com

I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like, but they seemed to work ok.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Ed Greshko

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

Greetings,
I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin
installed. For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine
(Youtube, etc). However, there are some websites where flash doesn't
work at all. When I end up at a website where its not working, I have
a big white square where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I
get a nasty error that I need to install Flash.

Could you give some examples of the problem sites?

From what I can tell, this appears to be due to some mime-type

handling retardation in Firefox3. If I go to Edit -> Preferences ->
Applications, there are two different entries for Flash, "Flash video"
and "SWF file". The "SWF file" entry is auto-populated with "Use
Shockwave Flash", however the "Flash video" entry keeps defaulting to
"Movie player (default)", and Shockwave Flash isn't even a choice in
the menu.

I've (re)installed Firefox-2.x for debugging purposes, and the same
exact flash plugin works perfectly there, so this has to be something
specific to firefox 3.

Anyone run across this?

No, but I may not have visited the proper sites.

--
Today is National Existential Ennui Awareness Day.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:40:28 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:10:18 +0930, Tim wrote:
>>
>>> Lonni J Friedman:
>>>

>>> Amadeus W.M.:
>>>
>>> I get the same with youtube. Often I'll get Flash appear to load,
>>> then vanish, leaving a blank space, and several page reloads will be
>>> needed to kick it back into working. Occasionally, the failure will
>>> happen part way into playing the file, with the same blank space
>>> effect and reloading required. Rarely I'll be told I don't have Flash
>>> installed, but seeing as that happens so rarely, I've put that down to
>>> stupid webmasters doing stupid tests. And there are a few sites where
>>> the player just never works.
>>>
>>> Perhaps related: If on youtube I ope another page in a background tab
>>> while playing a video, the playing video will often abort (in the
>>> above manner).
>>>
>>> I get the impression that the Flash player crashes really easily.
>>>
>>> --
>>> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
>>> 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
>>>
>>> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
>>> read messages from the public lists.
>>
>> How about these sites:
>>
>> https://www.citicards.com/
>> http://www.dbfx.com
>
> I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like, but they seemed to work
> ok.

The citicards site flashes a blue login/password rectangle in the upper
left corner and some other things, then goes all blank.

The dbfx site has an embedded flash that is supposed to show currency
prices in real time. That part I can't see, it's all blank. The rest of
the page is ok.

Incidentally, I uninstalled mozplugger and nspluginwrapper and cnn at
least seems to work better. Still having problems with these two sites
though. Might be some java thing?