Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Per Anton Rønning

Default Nvidia driver

Starting a new thread for this question - please disregard the same
question in then Java plugin thread:

TV Sivaraman wrote:

Hi:
I also experienced the same problem, so I switched over to SUN Java.
I did this as per instructions given at
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#java. You may
test the status of your browser with http://webapps.ou.edu/it/browser.

Sivaraman.
My PC is only 2-3 weeks old in my possesion and this is my first
encounter with Fedora 9.

(Earlier I was running Fedora Core 5)
The only screen resolution option I have now is 640x488, and I would
like to change that.
So I took a look at the ../resources/.. site, where I found instructions
for downloading Nvidia-driver:

$yum install kmod-nvidia , nvidia installation through Livna.

Installation went OK , and I did reboot the PC as recommended,
but no change, and the PC does not identify the LCD. It is "unknown" to it.
It is configured as Vesa, which I guess is the best option when nothing
else is known. But I saw a message flashing over the screen on bootup
stating something about
the Nvidia driver - it would not take effect until.... something I did
not manage to read before it vanished.
Does anyone know what I should be looking for? (I did demsg, but no
trace of the message there)

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM
"TV Sivaraman"

Hi:
Did yum install both the kmod-nvidia drivers? One is nvidia GP dependent and the other kernel dependent (look at http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/i386/). You may also have to install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs from the livna site.

Sivaraman.

TV Sivaraman wrote:

[...]

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,
Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA
Ph. No. 91-542-2276605
919451273108

Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Per Anton Rønning

Hi,
I followed the instruction at the resources website:
$yum install kmod-nvidia
nothing else was specified. I saw that there were kernel updates, so I guess
some of it was kernel dependent.
But I did not really know in detail what else to look for, so the rest
went past me.
There was a recommendation to restart the machine in the event of kernel
updates, so I looked for that.
> You may also have to install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs from the livna > site.
There was no mention of that in the article at the ../resource/.. site -
but I guess I cound yum intstall them ..

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Per Anton Rønning

TV Sivaraman wrote:

Hi:
Did yum install both the kmod-nvidia drivers? One is nvidia GP
dependent and the other kernel dependent (look at
http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/i386/). You may also have to
install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs from the
livna site.

Message was that these two were installed in their latest version.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 AM
"Dave Burns"

Also note that nvidia either ignores or screws up settings set with
the display panel after the real drivers are installed. I forget the
name of the config utility that gets installed with the rpms at the
moment, but look at rpm -q --filesbypkg, you should be able to figure
it out.
Dave

Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Dave Burns wrote:

Also note that nvidia either ignores or screws up settings set with
the display panel after the real drivers are installed. I forget the
name of the config utility that gets installed with the rpms at the
moment, but look at rpm -q --filesbypkg, you should be able to figure
it out.
Dave

Since this query requires an argument and since all the alternatives I
have tried

have come up blank, I did not figure it out.
Googling for "NVidia config utility Fedora 9" was not very helpful either.
I found a procedure like the one you described, and I did repeat it just
to see if I had screwed up the first time, but no, everything was
installed, so there was "nothing to do".
So far I have not caught eye of the name of a config utiliy to try out,
which I find a bit

odd .. perhaps I have used the wrong keywords in the Google search.
But what else shold I look for .. ?

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Claude Jones

On Sun August 24 2008 1:09:54 pm Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> TV Sivaraman wrote:
> > Hi:
> > Did yum install both the kmod-nvidia drivers? One is nvidia GP
> > dependent and the other kernel dependent (look at
> > http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/i386/). You may also have to
> > install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs from the
> > livna site.
>
> Message was that these two were installed in their latest version.

please run the following from a command prompt, and post results:
'rpm -qa kernel*'

--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA

Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Per Anton Rønning

TV Sivaraman wrote:

Hi:
Did yum install both the kmod-nvidia drivers? One is nvidia GP
dependent and the other kernel dependent (look at
http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/i386/). You may also have to
install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs from the
livna site.

Message was that these two were installed in their latest version.

please run the following from a command prompt, and post results:
'rpm -qa kernel*'

And the results are:
kernel-PAE-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
kernel-headers-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i386
kerneloops-0.11-1.fc9.i386
kernel-PAE-2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686
kernel-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Dave Burns wrote:

Also note that nvidia either ignores or screws up settings set with
the display panel after the real drivers are installed. I forget the
name of the config utility that gets installed with the rpms at the
moment, but look at rpm -q --filesbypkg, you should be able to figure
it out.
Dave

In Applications > System Tool > nVidia Display Settings I am now
referred to nvidia-xconfig.
"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X
configuration file (just run nvidia-xconfig as root) and restart the
X-server.

I also discovered that I now have 2 screen resolutions: 640x480 & 800
x600, but my LCD can take more than that. So there is an improvement
after following the installation advices.

There are now a couple of Nvidia options in the hardware part of
System > Administration > Display but I was thrown out of X using one of
them, so I have dropped that so far something is obviously missing.

Then: nvidia-config is quite elusive. It does not execute on my computer
(under root)
I dont find it in Add/Remove software, yum search does not help much,
nor does

rpm -q --filesbypkg so where could it be?

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Claude Jones

On Mon August 25 2008 10:19:39 am Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> > please run the following from a command prompt, and post results:
> > 'rpm -qa kernel*'
> >
> > *
>
> And the results are:
> kernel-PAE-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
> kernel-headers-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i386
> kerneloops-0.11-1.fc9.i386
> kernel-PAE-2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686
> kernel-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

I'm sorry, I was thinking of something else at the same time. The command
should have been:

rpm -qa | grep kernel
we're basically looking to see if your architectures are coherent, all i686
except for the kernel-headers and kerneloops which can be i386; we need to see
if you have the correct kernel-devel installed in particular
is there a reason you've got the PAE kernel installed? are you running more
than 4GB of memory in this machine?

what does the command 'uname -a' give?
--
Claude Jones