Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Beartooth

Default New F9 EeePC problem

This may or may not have something to do with the infrastructure
problems. It happened during them.

Having installed F9 on an EeePC 701, I did some removals with
gnome-packagekit, then plugged in a USB CD/DVD drive, and started copying
a bunch of data from my PCs.

Of course I soon hit a point where the poor little thing wouldn't
take any more.

I fired up the packagekit again, picked a bunch of stuff for it
to uninstall, and hit Apply. It hung. Overnight.

I force-closed it, and went to cutting away things I had added,
by moving them to the trash -- all the time watching the cumulative sizes
by scanning and re-scanning /home with baobab. I got it down to where, by
those scans, I was using about half its 8 GB. (I have a camera card in it
-- couldn't even install F9 when I tried without.)

I *think* the package kit removed some things before it hung, but
don't know which nor how many.

Finally, last night, I had occasion to shut it down. I've been in
process of trying to get it to boot for the past hour or so -- without
rhgb. It seems not to be hung, exactly; every once in a great while, the
normal boot messages go forward another line, then sit there ...

I'd hate to just re-install from scratch -- repeating all the
things I've changed would be a week's work. Is there a better way?

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3