Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 PM
"Christopher A. Williams"

Default Adobe Reader Plugin on F9

I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but has anyone come up with a fix for
the Adobe Reader plugin not displaying anything in Firefox? I've
re-produced this on several machines running F9 x64.

There are no errors - the plugin appears to load, but never actually
displays the PDF file in the browser. Adobe reader, when run separately,
works without a hitch.

Ideas? Work-arounds?

Cheers,

Chris

Old 08-24-2008, 04:29 PM
"TV Sivaraman"

Hi:
Take a look at http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#flash to make the Adopbe Reader plugin to work with firefox.

Sivaraman.

--

====================================

"If you get to thinkin' you're a

person of some influence, try

orderin' someone else's dog around."

--Cowboy Wisdom

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,
Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA
Ph. No. 91-542-2276605
919451273108

Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 07:38:54 -0600
"Christopher A. Williams" <chriswfedora@cawllc.com> wrote:

> Work-arounds?

My solution (which I actually prefer to having the PDF load directly into the
browser) is to rename /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so nppdf.so to something
else so Firefox can't find it. Then when you click on a PDF link it will load
acroread into a separate window.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Christopher A. Williams wrote:

I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but has anyone come up with a fix for
the Adobe Reader plugin not displaying anything in Firefox? I've
re-produced this on several machines running F9 x64.

There are no errors - the plugin appears to load, but never actually
displays the PDF file in the browser. Adobe reader, when run separately,
works without a hitch.

Ideas? Work-arounds?

I see this on occasion, but not all the time. Sometimes, if I move the
mouse, the document appears. F9.x86_64. I have even seen times when it
doesn't complete downloading the PDF. It's not consistent for me tho.

Cheers,

Chris

--
====================================

kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us

Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:25:26 -0400
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> I see this on occasion, but not all the time.

A problem that I've found when allowing acroread to load pdf files into the
Firefox window is that acroread will go wild if you close the tab.

Open a new tab in Firefox. Load a PDF into the Firefox window. Close the
tab. 100% of the time, I see 100% cpu usage until I "killall acroread".

This is on Fedora 8/x86_64 with FF 2, so it may be different or changed/fixed on
F9.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:39:57 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> Sometimes, simply refreshing the page helps.

When acroread goes wild like that is when you close the tab that it's loaded
into. So there's no page to refresh -- it's gone.

I avoid the issue by renaming the plugin as I described earlier, and load
acroread into its own window. I actually prefer that behaviour anyway.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"