Old 08-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Massimo Maiurana

Default samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

hi all, I've just joined this list

I'm facing a problem with a brand new installation on fedora 9.
I did a system update right after the installation, so the samba
packages are of the latest available version (3.2.0-17.fc9).

at the first run, all the tree of tdb files were created under
/var/lib/samba.
now I try to create a new user:
[root@barbara Scrivania]# smbpasswd -a barbara
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user barbara.

looks like the user was created, but in the log I can see a bunch of
lines like this:
lib/account_pol.c: account_policy_get(324) account_policy_get:
tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field $n....

...where $n is a number between 1 and 10, so basically I get ten of
those lines.
every attempt to change user's password ends with this:
[barbara@barbara ~]$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code
DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR received from remote machine 127.0.0.1
pipe samr fnum 0x7672!
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : NT code
0x1c010002.
Failed to change password for barbara

also, if I try to connect to the server locally from the same
machine this is what I get:

[barbara@barbara ~]$ smbclient \barbaraUfficio -U barbara
Enter barbara's password:
Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

it would look like the requested share is non-existent, but
unfortunately it isn't so:
[barbara@barbara ~]$ smbclient -L barbara
Enter barbara's password:
Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Ufficio Disk Ufficio
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.2.0-17.fc9)
SCX-4x16_Series Printer Samsung SCX-4x16 Series
Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
GRECOELEVATORI BARBARA

and indeed the shared directory exists:
[barbara@barbara ~]$ ls -l /home/barbara/Documenti
totale 4
drwxr-xr-x 28 barbara barbara 4096 1 ago 10:19 Ufficio

in the same lan there is also a win98 client, and neither it is able
to access to the public share. using "map to guest = Bad User" I'm
able at least to access the printer but not the share.
here is my smb.conf stripped from commented and empty lines:
[global]
workgroup = grecoelevatori
server string = Samba Server Version %v
lanman auth = yes
client lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
map to guest = Bad User
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
load printers = yes
cups options = raw
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
[Ufficio]
comment = Ufficio
path = /home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
browseable = yes

and here is what I see in the log when trying to access the public
share, either from localhost and from the win98 client:
[2008/08/20 15:56:44, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)
'/home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio' does not exist or permission
denied when connecting to [Ufficio] Error was Permission denied

bug in the fedora package? in this version of samba? in me ?

again, this does happens on an installation from scratch, do not
really know if all is fine when there are a previous installation
and an existing /var/lib/samba.

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.

--
Massimo Maiurana massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
http://massimo.solira.org GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 33 - [...]Enti e privati hanno il diritto di istituire
scuole ed istituti di educazione, senza oneri per lo Stato.[...]

Old 08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 09:31 +0200, Massimo Maiurana wrote:
> hi all, I've just joined this list
>
> I'm facing a problem with a brand new installation on fedora 9.
> I did a system update right after the installation, so the samba
> packages are of the latest available version (3.2.0-17.fc9).
>
> at the first run, all the tree of tdb files were created under
> /var/lib/samba.
> now I try to create a new user:
> [root@barbara Scrivania]# smbpasswd -a barbara
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> Added user barbara.
>
> looks like the user was created, but in the log I can see a bunch of
> lines like this:
> lib/account_pol.c: account_policy_get(324) account_policy_get:
> tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field $n....
>
> ...where $n is a number between 1 and 10, so basically I get ten of
> those lines.
> every attempt to change user's password ends with this:
> [barbara@barbara ~]$ smbpasswd
> Old SMB password:
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code
> DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR received from remote machine 127.0.0.1
> pipe samr fnum 0x7672!
> machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : NT code
> 0x1c010002.
> Failed to change password for barbara
----
this does seem strange...

what do you get from command (as root)
pdbedit -Lv barbara
----

> also, if I try to connect to the server locally from the same
> machine this is what I get:
> [barbara@barbara ~]$ smbclient \barbaraUfficio -U barbara
> Enter barbara's password:
> Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
----
try...
smbclient //barbara/Ufficio -U barbara
----
> it would look like the requested share is non-existent, but
> unfortunately it isn't so:
> [barbara@barbara ~]$ smbclient -L barbara
> Enter barbara's password:
> Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> Ufficio Disk Ufficio
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server Version
> 3.2.0-17.fc9)
> SCX-4x16_Series Printer Samsung SCX-4x16 Series
> Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
>
> Server Comment
> --------- -------
>
> Workgroup Master
> --------- -------
> GRECOELEVATORI BARBARA
>
> and indeed the shared directory exists:
> [barbara@barbara ~]$ ls -l /home/barbara/Documenti
> totale 4
> drwxr-xr-x 28 barbara barbara 4096 1 ago 10:19 Ufficio
----
try executing this command (as root)
chmod g+w,g+s,o+w /home/barbara/Documenti -R

(since you are trying to make it public writable)
----

> in the same lan there is also a win98 client, and neither it is able
> to access to the public share. using "map to guest = Bad User" I'm
> able at least to access the printer but not the share.
> here is my smb.conf stripped from commented and empty lines:
> [global]
> workgroup = grecoelevatori
> server string = Samba Server Version %v
> lanman auth = yes
> client lanman auth = yes
> ntlm auth = no
> client ntlmv2 auth = no
> map to guest = Bad User
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> security = user
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> load printers = yes
> cups options = raw
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> browseable = no
> guest ok = yes
> writable = no
> printable = yes
> [Ufficio]
> comment = Ufficio
> path = /home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio
> public = yes
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> browseable = yes
>
> and here is what I see in the log when trying to access the public
> share, either from localhost and from the win98 client:
> [2008/08/20 15:56:44, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)
> '/home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio' does not exist or permission
> denied when connecting to [Ufficio] Error was Permission denied
----
I think my above comment should handle this
----

> bug in the fedora package? in this version of samba? in me ?
>
> again, this does happens on an installation from scratch, do not
> really know if all is fine when there are a previous installation
> and an existing /var/lib/samba.
>
> thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.
----
your English was terrific - I think there are some bugs in samba-3.2.x
still but I don't know that you stumbled into any yet.

you might want to post output of

ls -l /var/lib/samba

Craig

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM