Old 08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Adil Drissi

Default Cancel mv after execution

Hi,

Is it possible to cancel one command after execution?
my command was :
mv includes ../includes

i was in /var/www so if a directory includes already existed in /var it was replaced.

Thank you

Old 08-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Russell Miller

Adil Drissi wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to cancel one command after execution?
my command was :
mv includes ../includes

i was in /var/www so if a directory includes already existed in /var it was replaced.

Thank you

It wasn't replaced, it was put inside of it.

You now have a ../includes/includes directory.

Also, to cancel it, you press control and "C" - however, in the case of
commands such as mv and cp, you'll find the operation half done and will
usually have to clean up after it.

--Russell

Old 08-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Adil Drissi

no i have just n empty includes (my includes was empty).
ctrl+c interrupts a process but in this case it is already complete.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:18 AM
Russell Miller

Adil Drissi wrote:

no i have just n empty includes (my includes was empty).
ctrl+c interrupts a process but in this case it is already complete.

Then you did something different, as mv does not replace a directory by
default.

--Russell

Old 08-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Adil Drissi

Ok maybe i didn't explain well.

I want to have the same file system that i had before executing my command.

If you have fedora8 can you check please if you have some directory of the name "includes" in /var?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Adil Drissi

Sorry

here is what i made:

mv includes ../

Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Craig White

Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Mike Chambers

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 21:22 -0700, Adil Drissi wrote:
> Sorry
>
> here is what i made:
>
> mv includes ../

Then you could do..

mv ../includes .

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Chris Tyler

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:07:03 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:

> Adil Drissi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to cancel one command after execution?
> > my command was :
> > mv includes ../includes
> >
> > i was in /var/www so if a directory includes already existed in /var
> it was replaced.
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> It wasn't replaced, it was put inside of it.
>
> You now have a ../includes/includes directory.
>
> Also, to cancel it, you press control and "C" - however, in the case of
> commands such as mv and cp, you'll find the operation half done and will
> usually have to clean up after it.

In addition to Russell's suggestion of using Ctrl-C to stop the
operation, you may want to consider using the -i and -v options with mv
(and cp and rm) so that you can see exactly which paths the commands are
operating on and so that you will be prompted for confirmation before
any destructive operations are performed.

If you want to consistently use those options but not type them every
time, you can add them to an alias:

alias mv="mv -iv"

This will take effect for the duration of the current shell. To make the
alias persistent, place the line above in ~/.bashrc

-Chris