Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Tom Horsley

Default nspluginwrapper.i386? Huh?

I just had the nspluginwrapper (that was apparently
automagically installed with fedora 8) do what it has always
done in the past - go into an infinite loop consuming
my CPU, so I did a:

yum erase nspluginwrapper

and yum told me it was going to erase two packages:
The x86_64 and the i386 nspluginwrapper.

What in the blue blazes does a 32 bit version of
nspluginwrapper do? Can it run 64 bit plugins
for a 32 bit browser or something? Has anything
more pointless ever been shipped with fedora? :-).

Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM
John Austin

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 14:54 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I just had the nspluginwrapper (that was apparently
> automagically installed with fedora 8) do what it has always
> done in the past - go into an infinite loop consuming
> my CPU, so I did a:
>
> yum erase nspluginwrapper
>
> and yum told me it was going to erase two packages:
> The x86_64 and the i386 nspluginwrapper.
>
> What in the blue blazes does a 32 bit version of
> nspluginwrapper do? Can it run 64 bit plugins
> for a 32 bit browser or something? Has anything
> more pointless ever been shipped with fedora? :-).

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/

Downloads
Note that you need both the Plugin and the Viewer for correct
operation. Please also read the release notes.
nspluginwrapper 0.9.91.5 (26.Aug.2007)

Plugin, Viewer (x86_64, glibc 2.3, gcc 3.4)
Sources: [ tar.bz2 ] [ rpm ]

John

Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 22:39:08 +0000
John Austin <ja@jaa.org.uk> wrote:

> http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/

I know what it is, I don't know why there were both
.x86_64 and .i386 versions of the rpm installed. A 32
bit wrapper to run 32 bit plugins seems completely
idiotic :-).

Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Tim

John Austin:
>> http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/

Tom Horsley:
> I know what it is, I don't know why there were both
> .x86_64 and .i386 versions of the rpm installed. A 32
> bit wrapper to run 32 bit plugins seems completely
> idiotic :-).

There's more to it than that. Such as running *NON-LINUX* 32 bit
plug-ins on your 32-bit Linux OS.

"nspluginwrapper is an Open Source compatibility plugin for Netscape 4
(NPAPI) plugins. That is, it enables you to use plugins on platforms
they were not built for. For example, you can use the Adobe Flash plugin
on Linux/x86_64, NetBSD and FreeBSD platforms."

e.g. Before we had Linux versions of the Flash player, people could use
things *like* the above to run the Windows Flash player software.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Todd Zullinger

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I know what it is, I don't know why there were both .x86_64 and
> .i386 versions of the rpm installed. A 32 bit wrapper to run 32 bit
> plugins seems completely idiotic :-).

It would seem so. But one benefit that I was made aware of the other
day was that with the wrapper, if a plugin dies (like the latest
flash-plugin seems to like to do with some frequency), it doesn't take
your browser along with it. Instead, it just kills itself (and, I
believe, the wrapper).

Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 00:33:14 -0500
Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com> wrote:

> But one benefit that I was made aware of the other
> day was that with the wrapper, if a plugin dies (like the latest
> flash-plugin seems to like to do with some frequency), it doesn't take
> your browser along with it. Instead, it just kills itself (and, I
> believe, the wrapper).

That could be a reason, but the only plugin I ever have problems
with is nspluginwrapper itself :-). Whenever I've run it in the
past, and now with the one shipped with fedora 8, it always winds up
going into an infinite loop and freezing firefox (or more specificaly
a program called npviewer.bin which is part of the nspluginwrapper
rpm is the one that is looping).