Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Beartooth

Default strange error

I have a popup saying

failed to get a TID: Incorrect path with ';' returned!

which gets no hits on google advanced linux

Is this part of the latest infrastructure precaution? Or
something wrong on my end??

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3

Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Beartooth

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:56:14 +0000, g wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> I have a popup saying
>>
>> failed to get a TID: Incorrect path with ';' returned!
>
> 'grep TID /var/log/*'

[root@hbsk ~]# grep TID /var/log/*
[root@hbsk ~]#

<shrug>

I meant to mention that I get the weird message whenever I try to
do anything with yum or gnome-packagekit -- or even "rpm --rebuilddb" --
running F9 on an EeePC 701

I also keep getting the line "loaded plugins: refresh-
packagekit," followed by an eternal hang -- even in response to a yum
command.

I tried the rescue function from the install DVD, did the chroot,
and tried commanding "yum install gnome-panel," because I suspect my
abortive effort with the package kit took out a lot of gnome. (For more
detail, see separate thread, "New F9 EeePC problem," posted today by me.)

Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 PM

Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Beartooth

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:18:40 +0000, g wrote:
[...]
> my psychic powers picked up on yum, yet missed rpm.
[...]
> being that it is under 24 hours from your post, i would give 'debaters'
> time to get their heads out of 'java', 'infrastructure', and
> 'pulseaudion' and grasp some 'fresh air'.
[...]
> have a look at;
> web page: http://linux.duke.edu/yum/
> wiki: http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/yum

From that second one, I get a notice saying it doesn't exist yet.

I suppose I may still be jumping the gun. (I'll tell, I'll tell,
but -- *after* my excuses.)

I couldn't get it to boot. I couldn't get it to 'upgrade' to F9,
GUI-ly nor in text mode; and when rescue got me to chroot, I couldn't get
it to run yum.

So I'm in process of slamming it with the big, big hammer --
carefully. Id est, another perishing fresh install, with differences.

First of all, this time I went through Customize Now, cutting
everything I could find and dared.

Second, knowing now how big and how superfluous some of my data
files were, I won't copy those to the EeePC.

Third, before I copy any of them, I'll run yum update and then
gnome-packagekit *twice* -- looking for more stuff to cut.

Fourth, I'll keep interrupting the packagekit with logging out
and in, and even reboots. That way, if I inadvertently uninstall
something essential, I have a better chance of knowing what it was, and
finding out how to get it back.

Keep your fingers crossed -- and stay tuned. It's starting the
new install now ....

Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 AM

Beartooth wrote:
<snip>
> From that second one, I get a notice saying it doesn't exist yet.

i looked at it before sending it. thought you might want to write it. ;o)
no, really, it was for 'existing pages'.

> I suppose I may still be jumping the gun. (I'll tell, I'll tell,
> but -- *after* my excuses.)

> I couldn't get it to boot. I couldn't get it to 'upgrade' to F9,
> GUI-ly nor in text mode; and when rescue got me to chroot, I couldn't get
> it to run yum.

i would say that you and i have similar problem. i was going to use a backup,
but i installed some things that i really did not need. so with system being
in state it is, i do believe fresh will be better.

> So I'm in process of slamming it with the big, big hammer --

some times it is best. aggravating, bitching, and a pain in ass. but at
least you will know you have a clean install.

tomorrow i will reinstall f8.

> First of all, this time I went through Customize Now, cutting
> everything I could find and dared.

takes a while, but i have found that it can be best.

> Third, before I copy any of them, I'll run yum update and then
> gnome-packagekit *twice* -- looking for more stuff to cut.

have not used 'gnome-packagekit'. is that gnome only? i do not install
gnome desktop, so i do not believe i have it on system to have tried.

> Keep your fingers crossed -- and stay tuned. It's starting the
> new install now ....

toes too. good luck.

- --
tc,hago.

.

learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Beartooth

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 03:55:10 +0000, g wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
> <snip>
>> From that second one, I get a notice saying it doesn't exist yet.
>
> i looked at it before sending it. thought you might want to write it.
> ;o) no, really, it was for 'existing pages'.
[...]
> i would say that you and i have similar problem. i was going to use a
> backup, but i installed some things that i really did not need. so with
> system being in state it is, i do believe fresh will be better.
[...]
> tomorrow i will reinstall f8.

Mine ran F8 quite satisfactorily till I goofed it up ...

>> First of all, this time I went through Customize Now, cutting
>> everything I could find and dared.
>
> takes a while, but i have found that it can be best.
>
>> Third, before I copy any of them, I'll run yum update and then
>> gnome-packagekit *twice* -- looking for more stuff to cut.
>
> have not used 'gnome-packagekit'. is that gnome only? i do not install
> gnome desktop, so i do not believe i have it on system to have tried.

http://packagekit.org/

I *think* I've seen a claim somewhere that you can use it with
KDE -- probably much as I use Konqueror (mainly for man pages) and K3B
with Gnome.

One great virtue, especially when you're paring down, is that it
will show you what else requires a given app *before* you do anything.
Unlike pirut, it doesn't wait till you try to remove one and only then
warn you.

One drawback, so far, is that I haven't found out how to put
together a whole list of things to remove and then tell it to do so, all
in one fell swoop.

Btw, the package kit is new in F9, replacing pirut.

>> Keep your fingers crossed -- and stay tuned. It's starting the new
>> install now ....
>
> toes too. good luck.

The install took. I decided to remove more stuff before updating;
I'm in process of doing that now. I told packagekit to show me only
installed apps, and am going through lists, asking for each in doubt what
requires it. I just asked, for instance, what requires genisoimage; it
told me brasero (among other things) requires it; so I'll keep that.

Stay tuned.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Beartooth

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:33:17 +0000, g wrote:

>> I *think* I've seen a claim somewhere that you can use it with KDE
>
> that was noted on one of pages.
>
>> One drawback, so far, is that I haven't found out how to put together a
>> whole list of things to remove and then tell it to do so, all in one
>> fell swoop.
>
> that is what i liked about md, check away what you do not want, then
> dump it.

The package kit shows so many items under "Other" and
"Programming" that I told it "apply" without them; ran yum update; and
came back.

Moderately bad news : the nice info under other rubrics,
particularly the required-by tab, are entirely lacking in these. There is
no way I can find for anybody who doesn't already know to tell what can
be cut away safely and what not, except by trial and disaster.

I did notice a speech synthesis app, and tried removing that; it told
me that would cost me four other such apps, which suited me fine. (I'm
pretty sure an older package kit *had* told me they were removable; if
some would-be clever developer has *removed* this function, it has to be
the bone-headedest decision I've seen in Fedora.)

If I could only somehow get pirut, it would help a lot. Yum
doesn't have any sort of force option, afaict; I thought maybe pirut'd be
in livna. I installed the F9 livna rpm, and tried "yum install pirut,"
but it still only told me I already had packagekit.

What's so wrong with having both?? One of my PCs does; but I
can't remember how I got it there ...

[LATER] Having installed Opera on the EeePC, I managed to google
up a pirut noarch rpm at rpmfind; downloaded it; tried to -ivh it; got a
dependency for "comps-extras"; told yum to install that, which it did;
tried rpm -ivh again -- and got a thing I haven't seen before : a notice
that it *conflicts* with some *unnamed* file in packagekit.

Other people online claim to have removed package kit; I'm going
to try.

At this point, I'm down to 50.2% file usage, according to baobab,
and can start emulating amorous porcupines while I copy data of my own
back in. But I'd a lot rather pare that down somewhere well below 50%,
and then try.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 AM

Beartooth wrote:
<snip>
> The package kit shows so many items under "Other" and
> "Programming" that I told it "apply" without them; ran yum update; and
> came back.
>
> Moderately bad news : the nice info under other rubrics,
> particularly the required-by tab, are entirely lacking in these. There is
> no way I can find for anybody who doesn't already know to tell what can
> be cut away safely and what not, except by trial and disaster.

what you are running into is main part of what i like and dislike, leaning
too often on dislike about c and rpm *packages*. everything is dependent.

even with mandrake's 'ccc', i had many times of aggravation in removing
programs, so i took things to a different view, and looks like it will
be put back to use with yum and maybe with packagekit.

when i ran into a program that i could not remove because it would remove
what i wanted also, i opened kwrite and noted what i did not want, then
removed name from list of what i wanted to remove.

after removing what i could, i would go to /usr/share and rename directories
with '*.2brmvd'. then let them sit while i tried their co-parts. if all
went well, i would go back later and remove them.

now, if you really want to clean up a bunch of dead files, you will really
be surprised just how much is wasted with 'locale'. several hundred megs
can be clear just by going into the various 'locale' directories and removing
what you do not need.

you will find them under /usr/java/*, /usr/lib/locale/, /usr/share/locale/,
/usr/share/X11/locale/,

there is one slight problem, they get built back and you do need to clean
them back out when every you run yum or rpm. one day i will write a script
to remove then and stop doing it by hand.

> in livna. I installed the F9 livna rpm, and tried "yum install pirut,"
> but it still only told me I already had packagekit.
>
> What's so wrong with having both?? One of my PCs does; but I
> can't remember how I got it there ...

remove packagekit, install pirut, then install packagekit back. )

- --
tc,hago.

.