Old 08-23-2008, 03:36 PM
"Carlo Nyto"

Default automatically mount removable devices

I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
regardless of the order.

Is this possible?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:51 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Carlo Nyto wrote:
> I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
> them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
> want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
> system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
> regardless of the order.
>
> Is this possible?

If you label the partitions, they will be mounted on /media/name. If
this is not what you want, you can write HAL rules to have them
mounted elsewhere. If you don't want to add labels, you can use the
UUID value in the HAL rules.

Mikkel

Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Victor

> > I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
> > them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
> > want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
> > system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
> > regardless of the order.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> >
> If you label the partitions, they will be mounted on /media/name. If
> this is not what you want, you can write HAL rules to have them
> mounted elsewhere. If you don't want to add labels, you can use the
> UUID value in the HAL rules.

Wouldn't udev rules be easier to build for something like this? Or is there something that HAL can give you over udev?

--Victor

Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Victor wrote:

>> If you label the partitions, they will be mounted on /media/name. If
>> this is not what you want, you can write HAL rules to have them
>> mounted elsewhere. If you don't want to add labels, you can use the
>> UUID value in the HAL rules.
>
> Wouldn't udev rules be easier to build for something like this?
> Or is there something that HAL can give you over udev?
>
> --Victor

I am not sure - it depends on how many partitions. It also gets a
bit complicated if the enclosures are the same. Then you would have
the same Vendor ID and Product ID. With HAL and UUID, the drives get
mounted the same way even if you change enclosures. I guess it
depends on what you know better. But if you do not know how to write
udev rules, then you are better off with learning to use HAL.

Mikkel

Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Alan Cox

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:36:41 -0400
"Carlo Nyto" <carlonyto@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
> them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
> want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
> system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
> regardless of the order.
>
> Is this possible?

Mount them by UUID or by label and this will happen. The actual device
naming isn't predictable in that case but as the labels are on the actual
file systems a label will find the file system wherever it is locally.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Phil Meyer

Carlo Nyto wrote:

I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
regardless of the order.

Is this possible?

Udev rules still work ok.

I made a rules file: /etc/udev/rules.d/65-local.rules that contains
lines like this:

# Western Digital 320GB External
SYSFS{idVendor}=="1058", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0404", SYMLINK+="big%n"

The values for Vendor and Product are the values listed by lsusb.

You will notice that I created a different designator other than sd to
use. This allows easier to read /etc/fstab entries. I name the drives
and use those names in /etc/fstab.

/dev/big1 /big ext3 defaults 0 0

As has been mentioned, this is just one way to do it, and there may be a
'right' way that is quite different.

For my purposes, this works well.

Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 AM
"Carlo Nyto"

2008/8/23 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> Carlo Nyto wrote:
>> I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
>> them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
>> want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
>> system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
>> regardless of the order.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
> If you label the partitions, they will be mounted on /media/name. If
> this is not what you want, you can write HAL rules to have them
> mounted elsewhere. If you don't want to add labels, you can use the
> UUID value in the HAL rules.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. They are labeled. They are only
automatically mounted on /media/name if I am logged into gnome on the
console at the time that the drives are plugged in.

Is the behavior I am seeing the expected behavior, or is it indicative
of some unknown problem?

It was difficult to begin troubleshooting without even a guess as to
what mechanism might be mounting them automatically. I'll go under the
theory it was HAL and see what I can determine about its behavior