Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Leon Vergottini

Default Codecs

Hi

The other day I had a problem getting yum through a proxy - that one I
have solved and thanks for the help that I have received from you guys -
I was pointed in the right direction. I am looking for codecs so that I
can play my AVI, and other audio formats. I have followed the steps
listed at
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-fedora9-gnome-p5, however
without any success. When I try to play avi files, it still points me
to a site where I can purchase the codecs. In Ubuntu, which I used
before moving to Fedora, I only needed to download the Ubuntu-restricted
package and it worked. I have searched on Google, but also with no luck
unless I have searched in a stupid way.
Please, just point me again in the right direction, like a website - I
like playing around and figure the things out myself.

Regards
Leon

Old 08-23-2008, 12:27 PM
"Ramprasad Rajendran"

2008/8/23 Leon Vergottini <leon.vergottini@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> The other day I had a problem getting yum through a proxy - that one I have
> solved and thanks for the help that I have received from you guys - I was
> pointed in the right direction. I am looking for codecs so that I can play
> my AVI, and other audio formats. I have followed the steps listed at
> http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-fedora9-gnome-p5, however
> without any success. When I try to play avi files, it still points me to a
> site where I can purchase the codecs. In Ubuntu, which I used before moving
> to Fedora, I only needed to download the Ubuntu-restricted package and it
> worked. I have searched on Google, but also with no luck unless I have
> searched in a stupid way.

I guess mplayer should play avi files.

> Please, just point me again in the right direction, like a website - I like
> playing around and figure the things out myself.
>
> Regards
> Leon

ram
http://ramprasad.livejournal.com

Old 08-23-2008, 03:36 PM
fnol

> > The other day I had a problem getting yum through a proxy - that one I have
> > solved and thanks for the help that I have received from you guys - I was
> > pointed in the right direction. I am looking for codecs so that I can play
> > my AVI, and other audio formats. I have followed the steps listed at
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-fedora9-gnome-p5, however
> > without any success. When I try to play avi files, it still points me to a
> > site where I can purchase the codecs. In Ubuntu, which I used before moving
> > to Fedora, I only needed to download the Ubuntu-restricted package and it
> > worked. I have searched on Google, but also with no luck unless I have
> > searched in a stupid way.
>
> I guess mplayer should play avi files.

Yes it does.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:05 PM
dexter

On Sat August 23 2008 12:35:33 Leon Vergottini wrote:
> Please, just point me again in the right direction, like a website - I
> like playing around and figure the things out myself.

You need to start playing around with livna, google that!

...dex

Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
john wendel

Please, just point me again in the right direction, like a website - I like
playing around and figure the things out myself.

Regards
Leon

Just visit

www.mplayerhq.hu

and download the codec tarball. Install in /usr/lib/codecs.

Regards,

John

Old 08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 13:35 +0200, Leon Vergottini wrote:
> I am looking for codecs so that I can play my AVI, and other audio
> formats.

What are you trying to play the files with?

Totem, listed as "Movie Player" in the Gnome menus, will use the
gstreamer plugins. If you set up the Livna repo [1] you can add the
good, bad, and, ugly plugins for it. That'll increase that player's
abilities.

i.e. yum install gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Mplayer seems to handle more formats, and you can add a binary codec
bundle downloaded from their website [2]. It's a tarball, pick the one
for Linux, and you'd manually unpack it to one of the default locations.
It's probably easier to yum install mplayer from the usual Fedora repos,
and just use the codec tarball, rather than install everything from the
tarballs on the mplayer site. The mplayer-gui package seems a bit
dicey, I've often found the GUIfied version to crash playing files that
the other command line version would play fine. Using something else
for the GUI, such as gnome-mplayer, seemed much more reliable.

Xine plays a lot of files, too. And if you install the
xine-lib-extras-nonfree package from the Livna repo, it plays even more.

And there's VLC. That plays a plethora of files, and includes a lot of
codecs in its installation. Again, you can install that from the Livna
repo.

Mplayer's probably my preferred player, VLC my second choice. I haven't
really tried any others.

1. Visit http://rpm.livna.org/ and follow their instructions
2. Visit http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

A listing of the packages on my system that would seem to be obviously
related to the various players is below. There may be some other things
that are used too, but yum should fetch them for you if the package is
needed.

gstreamer
gstreamer-plugins-bad
gstreamer-plugins-base
gstreamer-plugins-good
gstreamer-plugins-pulse
gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux
gstreamer-plugins-ugly
gstreamer-python
gstreamer-tools
totem-gstreamer

mplayer
mplayer-gui

xine
xine-lib
xine-lib-extras-nonfree
xine-lib-pulseaudio

vlc
vlc-core

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM

In Kubuntu do all audio visual programs share codecs? E.g. if I install the
codec for .mp3 for amarok will programs like mplayer pick them up or vice
versa?

Andrew Heggie

Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Knapp

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM, <list@loampitsfarm.co.uk> wrote:
> In Kubuntu do all audio visual programs share codecs? E.g. if I install the
> codec for .mp3 for amarok will programs like mplayer pick them up or vice
> versa?
>
> Andrew Heggie

I think, but don't know, that they do.
--