Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Leon Vergottini

Default 13. FC9 NetworkManager & WPA (Tim)

Hi

I had the same problem the other day. After choosing it manually from
lists of available authentication methods it worked - as the other guy
says, make sure the router is configured with WPA. I have noticed that
I had to try several times before it connected. So if it does not
connect the first time, try again. It will authenticate eventually and
once it gets that done it will be fine.

Yip, Dlink router is a real bastard. I have set up for my parents home
and it works fine.

Regards
Leon

Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 13:07 +0200, Leon Vergottini wrote:
> I had the same problem the other day. After choosing it manually from
> lists of available authentication methods it worked - as the other guy
> says, make sure the router is configured with WPA. I have noticed that
> I had to try several times before it connected. So if it does not
> connect the first time, try again. It will authenticate eventually and
> once it gets that done it will be fine.

I have noticed that NetworkManager takes its own sweet time to find this
router, yet ones (much further away) from the neighbours pop up into the
list quite quickly.

> Yip, Dlink router is a real bastard. I have set up for my parents home
> and it works fine.

What swayed me over this one compared to the Netgear was its three-year
warranty versus the Netgear's one year. I've got more than a bit sick
of unreliable gear.

Now, having played with it and someone else's Netgear, one thing that I
*REALLY* do not like about this Dlink DIR-300 is you cannot disable
re-configuration via the wireless link. On other routers, I've been
able to set it so that you had to plug a cable in to be able to
configure it.

Picture this scenario: You plug in your new wireless router, it has no
security settings. You configure it using the HTTP webserver, and your
passwords (any you set into it) are part of the HTML source code,
viewable by anyone else at the same time. Your browser may display them
as ***** in the webform, but it's only the browser display that's
obscuring them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
max

Tim wrote:

[...]

You can make the router only accessible via https, at least I can on my
Linksys though I am not sure if that would fix the issue in question.
There is some OPen WRT firmware for the linksys that I have been dying
to try though........

http://openwrt.org/

--
Fortune favors the BOLD

Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> Picture this scenario: You plug in your new wireless router, it has no
>> security settings. You configure it using the HTTP webserver, and your
>> passwords (any you set into it) are part of the HTML source code,
>> viewable by anyone else at the same time. Your browser may display them
>> as ***** in the webform, but it's only the browser display that's
>> obscuring them.

max:
> You can make the router only accessible via https, at least I can on
> my Linksys though I am not sure if that would fix the issue in
> question.

Mine doesn't appear to listen on anything other than port 80. I settled
for turning off wireless, then configuring things, then turning it back
on using WPA2 only.

> There is some OPen WRT firmware for the linksys that I have been dying
> to try though........

I had a look on the site for that, mine's only "partially supported".

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Timothy Murphy

Tim wrote:

> I have noticed that NetworkManager takes its own sweet time to find this
> router, yet ones (much further away) from the neighbours pop up into the
> list quite quickly.

I had this (minor) problem when I re-booted this morning:
NM tried to connect to another, weaker, access point
instead of the one downstairs.

But what exactly is the strategy of NM?
I thought it was meant to remember where it had successfully connected,
and try that site first.
As far as I can tell, my NM has no recollection at all
of where it has connected to;
it appears to list all the access points it sees,
and then chooses one at random.

Assuming NM is meant to remember what happened in the past,
where does it store the information?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 12:27 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> As far as I can tell, my NM has no recollection at all
> of where it has connected to;
> it appears to list all the access points it sees,
> and then chooses one at random.

It seems to get that side of things right, here (reselecting my access
point, same as last session). Just curious, but is your wrong access
point selection an open one? (One with no security.)

I can well imagine it going for the strongest signal, taking an open one
over one that you've set up password access to, as an automatic thing.
But I can't see any justification for it trying to pick an open one
that's weaker than other access points.

I went through the connection editing options, where you can customise
some of the connections. A glaring omission would seem to be a way to
set it to always ignore particular ones.