Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 AM
"Brian Powell"

Default FC9 NetworkManager & WPA

Devon,

Make sure you have the wpa_supplicant package installed.

----
Regards,
Brian

Old 08-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 22:59 -0400, Devon Harding wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 9 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem
> to get the WPA wireless working. When I click on the network icon in
> the panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA). Now when I
> click my ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA. What gives?
> How do I get it to detect WPA networks?

Are you certain your router's in a WPA mode. You should be prompted to
configure it in the manner that the router is currently running in.
WPA2 is working fine, here, on a DLink wireless router (it's a bastard
of a thing to configure, compared to a Netgear device that I've played
with, but it works).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:26 PM
"Devon Harding"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Brian Powell <bpowell01@gmail.com> wrote:

Devon,

Make sure you have the wpa_supplicant package installed.

----

Regards,

Brian

The wpa_supplicant package is installed (and the update).* When I select my wireless from the drop down list, it still asks for a WEP key instead of a WPA key.

Do I need the wpa_supplicant_gui package too?

-Devon

Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 23 August 2008 16:26:06 Devon Harding wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Brian Powell <bpowell01@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Devon,
> >
> > Make sure you have the wpa_supplicant package installed.
> >

> The wpa_supplicant package is installed (and the update). When I select my
> wireless from the drop down list, it still asks for a WEP key instead of a
> WPA key.
>
> Do I need the wpa_supplicant_gui package too?

I see the same behaviour on my EeePC. It does no harm, but it's b******
annoying. (I presume that, like me, you can use the drop-down arrow to
select WPA then manually give it the passphrase?)

Anne

Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
"Devon Harding"

2008/8/23 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>

On Saturday 23 August 2008 16:26:06 Devon Harding wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Brian Powell <bpowell01@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Devon,

> > Make sure you have the wpa_supplicant package installed.

> The wpa_supplicant package is installed (and the update). *When I select my

> wireless from the drop down list, it still asks for a WEP key instead of a

> WPA key.

> Do I need the wpa_supplicant_gui package too?

I see the same behaviour on my EeePC. *It does no harm, but it's b******

annoying. *(I presume that, like me, you can use the drop-down arrow to

select WPA then manually give it the passphrase?)

Anne

The thing is, WPA is not one of the choices.* I only have the following:

WEP 128-bit Passphrase
WEP 40/128-bit Hexadecimal
WEP 40/128-bit ASCII
LEAP
Dynamic WEP (802.1x)

Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 23 August 2008 17:00:05 Devon Harding wrote:
> 2008/8/23 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>
>
> > On Saturday 23 August 2008 16:26:06 Devon Harding wrote:

> > > The wpa_supplicant package is installed (and the update). When I
> > > select
> >
> > my
> >
> > > wireless from the drop down list, it still asks for a WEP key instead
> > > of

> > > WPA key.
> > >
> > > Do I need the wpa_supplicant_gui package too?

That shouldn't make any difference

> > I see the same behaviour on my EeePC. It does no harm, but it's b******
> > annoying. (I presume that, like me, you can use the drop-down arrow to
> > select WPA then manually give it the passphrase?)
> >
> > Anne
>
> The thing is, WPA is not one of the choices. I only have the following:
>
> WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> WEP 40/128-bit Hexadecimal
> WEP 40/128-bit ASCII
> LEAP
> Dynamic WEP (802.1x)

That's really odd. Sorry I can't help.

Anne

Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
max

wrote:

Devon,

Make sure you have the wpa_supplicant package installed.

The wpa_supplicant package is installed (and the update). When I select

my

wireless from the drop down list, it still asks for a WEP key instead of

WPA key.

Do I need the wpa_supplicant_gui package too?

I see the same behaviour on my EeePC. It does no harm, but it's b******
annoying. (I presume that, like me, you can use the drop-down arrow to
select WPA then manually give it the passphrase?)

Anne

The thing is, WPA is not one of the choices. I only have the following:

WEP 128-bit Passphrase
WEP 40/128-bit Hexadecimal
WEP 40/128-bit ASCII
LEAP
Dynamic WEP (802.1x)

Have you tried an older kernel? I have seen some weird stuff with
wireless on the latest but it may be something else going on there.

What kind of wireless device are you working with?

--
Fortune favors the BOLD

Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 PM
"Devon Harding"

wrote:

[...]

I tried Ubuntu (Hardy) and got the same thing.* If I choose 'Connect to other wireless network'* I do see the option for WPA, but it doesn't seems to connect to my access point.

-Devon

Old 08-23-2008, 05:13 PM
max

wrote:

[...]

But what wireless card are you using? I suspect your problem may be
there, its a possibility to explore anyway.

from a terminal as root:

root@localhost# lspci -v

it will produce a lot of output , look for the wireless device it should
be obviously labeled

--
Fortune favors the BOLD

Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM
"Devon Harding"

wrote:

[...]

Here's the output:

00:12.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
*** Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Unknown device 1169
*** Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9

*** Memory at e8013000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
*** Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
*** Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
*** Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci