Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Joel Rees

Default japanese keyboards and xorg (and macs?)

When running the installer, my Japanese iBook takes the US keyboard
map, which is not totally evil, just a little bit confusing at times.

In openBSD, I have been able to get most of the keyboard mapped to
the Japanese keyboard, merely by copying the jp keyboard mapping file
from /etc/X11/xkb/symbols into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh and
setting the keyboard to jp in xorg.conf. But two keys remain
unaccessible, and one key does not remap, leaving me unable to type
underscore, right bracket, and right brace in the Japanese map.
Again, on the openBSD system, I tried the xev utility, and determined
that the two keys that are unaccessible are just not generating events.

If I get Fedora 9 running on this iBook I expect I'll see the same
thing.

Has anyone here has seen this kind of problem? or could anyone give
me some suggestions?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Jens Petersen

Hi Joel,

I am not familiar with Japanese Mac keyboards.
Are they very different from a Japanese PC keyboard.

Have you tried "setxkbmap jp"?

In openBSD, I have been able to get most of the keyboard mapped to the
Japanese keyboard, merely by copying the jp keyboard mapping file from
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh and setting the
keyboard to jp in xorg.conf.

Ok

But two keys remain unaccessible, and one
key does not remap, leaving me unable to type underscore, right bracket,
and right brace in the Japanese map. Again, on the openBSD system, I
tried the xev utility, and determined that the two keys that are
unaccessible are just not generating events.

Has anyone here has seen this kind of problem? or could anyone give me
some suggestions?

You could start by filing a report in bugzilla, but I guess it really
needs to be fixed upstream. I see current rawhide still does not have a

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh_vndr/jp file...

Dunno if that helps a little?

Jens