Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Gene Heskett

Default pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Greetings;

Because many of you said to use it, it worked just fine, I re-installed it all
and I haven't had any noise from anything but kmail and maybe kino since
then, kino audio seemingly depending on the phase of the moon, day of thew
week and possibly multiplied by the age of the raccoon I last killed, now
many years ago.

Anyway, I'm like the other guy who said all he wants to do is play some
fscking sound. Looking up the various pieces in yumex to see what there
might be for configuration helpers, I try several pieces but they return 0
output, and all seem to be killable with a ctl-c.

Until I get to padmin, now there is a real Super Informative Name.

padmin displays, on the server tab, a whole menu of alsa stuff, every one of
which points into the nvidia chipsets builtin ac97 audio on this motgher
board, and absolutely zero reference is made to the the SBO-400 Audigy 2 card
that I actually use as the main sound system here, with the nvidia thingy
being relegated for skype etc usage.

Now, many moons ago, I spent considerable time on this list arriving at
an /etc/modprobe.conf stanza that made it all work the way I wanted it to
work. It looks like this:
-------------------------
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
options snd-card-2 index=2
options snd-mpu401 index=2
--------------------------

And if I can get enough of it killed and uninstalled, it will still work as I
have done exactly that once before.

The pulseaudio wiki/web page has zero info on how to do this unless my speed
reading is skipping over it somehow, but I've now been over it 5 or 6 times
without anything raising its hand asking to go wiwi.

If it would help, I can snapshot and post the various screens padmin shows.
Whoever wrote that gui seems to have left out the ability to clipboard the
contents. 500 lashes with a wet noodle are in order for that omission.

Also, I get the impression this is an administration program, in which case I
ought to be able to edit some of this, multiple choices based on the
available hardware would be nice, but as near as I can tell, nothing is
editable, so whyinhell call it an admin program when it can't? Good question
that..

So how do I go about making pulseaudio work like I want it to work?

URL's for answers is fine, but the pulseaudio web page I was pointed at before
is effectively all advertising, and about as useful as those appendages on
the belly of a boar hog.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Because many of you said to use it, it worked just fine, I re-installed it all
> and I haven't had any noise from anything but kmail and maybe kino since
> then, kino audio seemingly depending on the phase of the moon, day of thew
> week and possibly multiplied by the age of the raccoon I last killed, now
> many years ago.
>
> Anyway, I'm like the other guy who said all he wants to do is play some
> fscking sound. Looking up the various pieces in yumex to see what there
> might be for configuration helpers, I try several pieces but they return 0
> output, and all seem to be killable with a ctl-c.
>
> Until I get to padmin, now there is a real Super Informative Name.
>
> padmin displays, on the server tab, a whole menu of alsa stuff, every one of
> which points into the nvidia chipsets builtin ac97 audio on this motgher
> board, and absolutely zero reference is made to the the SBO-400 Audigy 2 card
> that I actually use as the main sound system here, with the nvidia thingy
> being relegated for skype etc usage.
>
> Now, many moons ago, I spent considerable time on this list arriving at
> an /etc/modprobe.conf stanza that made it all work the way I wanted it to
> work. It looks like this:
> -------------------------
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> options snd-intel8x0 index=1
> alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
> options snd-card-2 index=2
> options snd-mpu401 index=2
> --------------------------
>
> And if I can get enough of it killed and uninstalled, it will still work as I
> have done exactly that once before.
>
> The pulseaudio wiki/web page has zero info on how to do this unless my speed
> reading is skipping over it somehow, but I've now been over it 5 or 6 times
> without anything raising its hand asking to go wiwi.
>
> If it would help, I can snapshot and post the various screens padmin shows.
> Whoever wrote that gui seems to have left out the ability to clipboard the
> contents. 500 lashes with a wet noodle are in order for that omission.
>
> Also, I get the impression this is an administration program, in which case I
> ought to be able to edit some of this, multiple choices based on the
> available hardware would be nice, but as near as I can tell, nothing is
> editable, so whyinhell call it an admin program when it can't? Good question
> that..
>
> So how do I go about making pulseaudio work like I want it to work?
>
> URL's for answers is fine, but the pulseaudio web page I was pointed at before
> is effectively all advertising, and about as useful as those appendages on
> the belly of a boar hog.

I got no advice.. just questions. Is there anything special about your
install? I have done two F9 installs so far, both with embedded sound
cards however, and have had zero audio issues.

Also, what does `lspci` say about your sound card?

Arthur Pemberton

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 22 August 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> [...]
>> shows. Whoever wrote that gui seems to have left out the ability to
>> clipboard the contents. 500 lashes with a wet noodle are in order for that
>> omission.
>>
>> Also, I get the impression this is an administration program, in which
>> case I ought to be able to edit some of this, multiple choices based on
>> the available hardware would be nice, but as near as I can tell, nothing
>> is editable, so whyinhell call it an admin program when it can't? Good
>> question that..
>>
>> So how do I go about making pulseaudio work like I want it to work?
>>
>> URL's for answers is fine, but the pulseaudio web page I was pointed at
>> before is effectively all advertising, and about as useful as those
>> appendages on the belly of a boar hog.
>
>I got no advice.. just questions. Is there anything special about your

Some stuff is locally built, like I track the latest linus kernel 2.6.27-rc4,
amanda snapshots, kino-1.3.2, and all gmerlin dependencies, needed to make
openmovieeditor build and work, which when I do, I find it cannot import what
I already have, and it has no idea there is a real live camera out there on
the end of a 1394 connector. None of the audio is anything but rpms AFAIK.

>I have done two F9 installs so far, both with embedded sound
>cards however, and have had zero audio issues.
>
>Also, what does `lspci` say about your sound card?

Small correction, cards, although the nvidia is on the mobo.

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio
Controler (MCP) (rev a1)

And:

01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value

>Arthur Pemberton

Thanks Arther.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 08-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 22 August 2008, g wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
><snip>
>
>> padmin displays, on the server tab, a whole menu of alsa stuff, every one
>> of which points into the nvidia chipsets builtin ac97 audio on this
>> motgher board, and absolutely zero reference is made to the the SBO-400
>> Audigy 2 card
>
>just a thought, if padmin is seeing ac97 and not sbo-400, could you possibly
>be having address conflict.

Never had one before pulseaudio. No legitimate reason I should have one now.

>maybe disable ac97 in bios to see padmin shows.

I don't think I can in this bios.

>you are under a 'new moon' and things may have been change to not allow both
>on board and card work together.

If I rpm -e pulseaudio, or as much as I can without completely eviscerating
the system, it will start working, or did the last time, without even a
reboot.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 AM
"Russell Miller"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

>just a thought, if padmin is seeing ac97 and not sbo-400, could you possibly

>be having address conflict.

Never had one before pulseaudio. *No legitimate reason I should have one now.

Have you tried checking to see if your user has permission to write to the audio device?* If it doesn't, pulseaudio will pretend it's not even there.

The fedora gods insist this isn't a bug (someone resolved it with NOTABUG, yippee), so you're not going to see a fix.* But if that truly is the problem, just adjust your udev rules to create it with the correct permissions and add yourself to rt-pulse.* Fixed it for me.

Hooray for moving forward.

--Russell

Old 08-23-2008, 03:35 AM

Gene Heskett wrote:
<snip>
[1]
>> be having address conflict.
> Never had one before pulseaudio. No legitimate reason I should have one now.

[2]
>> maybe disable ac97 in bios to see padmin shows.
> I don't think I can in this bios.

strange a bios writer would not consider need to disable. jumpers maybe?
what is board make, model? bios version?

[3]
> If I rpm -e pulseaudio, or as much as I can without completely eviscerating
> the system, it will start working, or did the last time, without even a
> reboot.

1 & 3 made me do some more thinking and that it is definitely pulseaudio,
so i took a look at http://www.pulseaudio.org
and found there to be some problems.

searches as: ac97, sbo-400, then "audigy 2" using quotes.

these are hits and traces;
http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=ac97&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/266
http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=ac97&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/139
http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=%22Audigy+2%22&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticke t=on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/247
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/206
http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=Audigy+2&noquickjump=1&ticket=on&changese t=on&wiki=on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=sbo-400&noquickjump=1&ticket=on&changeset=on&wiki=on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=%22ac97%22+AND+%22sbo-400%22&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on

knowing your system, you can probably dig further and get a better idea
of what to try.

i am up for another hour or two, reply with [2] and i will have another
look around. :0)

hth.

- --
tc,hago.

.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 22 August 2008, Russell Miller wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett@verizon.net>wrote:
>> >just a thought, if padmin is seeing ac97 and not sbo-400, could you
>>
>> possibly
>>
>> >be having address conflict.
>>
>> Never had one before pulseaudio. No legitimate reason I should have one
>> now.
>
>Have you tried checking to see if your user has permission to write to the
>audio device? If it doesn't, pulseaudio will pretend it's not even there.

Only one user, me=root. Yes there are other 'users' on this machine, all of
which do things that users should do, like gene fetching email, amanda doing
the backups, yadda yadda.

>The fedora gods insist this isn't a bug (someone resolved it with NOTABUG,
>yippee), so you're not going to see a fix. But if that truly is the
>problem, just adjust your udev rules to create it with the correct
>permissions and add yourself to rt-pulse. Fixed it for me.

rt-pulse? No such file here according to locate.

>Hooray for moving forward.

Somehow I don't feel like celebrating, its nothing but breakage IMO.

>--Russell

Thanks Russell.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 08-23-2008, 04:07 AM
john wendel

Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

I'm curious about the value of pulse (and the other sound servers, esd,
arts, whatever). I don't use a sound server and the sound on my box
works perfectly. What am I missing?

Regards,

John

Old 08-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 22 August 2008, g wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
><snip>
>[1]
>
>>> be having address conflict.
>>
>> Never had one before pulseaudio. No legitimate reason I should have one
>> now.
>
>[2]
>
>>> maybe disable ac97 in bios to see padmin shows.
>>
>> I don't think I can in this bios.
>
>strange a bios writer would not consider need to disable. jumpers maybe?
>what is board make, model? bios version?

Biostar, M7NCD-Pro, bios unk but up to date according to the biostar web pages
a couple of weeks ago, board is 5 years old so I doubt there will ever be
another update.

I have time before amanda fires up, so I will reboot and see if I can disable
the nvidia stuff just for grins.

Ok, did, but now I have no sound at all. The nforce is not showing in the
lspci output now, and there are fewer channels showing in paman, but no
sound.

>[3]
>
>> If I rpm -e pulseaudio, or as much as I can without completely
>> eviscerating the system, it will start working, or did the last time,
>> without even a reboot.
>
>1 & 3 made me do some more thinking and that it is definitely pulseaudio,
>so i took a look at http://www.pulseaudio.org
>and found there to be some problems.
>
>searches as: ac97, sbo-400, then "audigy 2" using quotes.

I'll do that tomorrow when I'm fresher, I was in the middle of laying 6 yards
of concrete today, bringing the total up to 13 yards since wednesday. I'm
gettin too old for this hard work.

>these are hits and traces;
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=ac97&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/266
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=ac97&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/139
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=%22Audigy+2%22&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticke
>t=on http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/247
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/206
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=Audigy+2&noquickjump=1&ticket=on&changese
>t=on&wiki=on
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=sbo-400&noquickjump=1&ticket=on&changese
>t=on&wiki=on
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=%22ac97%22+AND+%22sbo-400%22&wiki=on&cha
>ngeset=on&ticket=on
>
>knowing your system, you can probably dig further and get a better idea
>of what to try.

Maybe, thanks g.

>i am up for another hour or two, reply with [2] and i will have another
>look around. :0)
>
>hth.
>
>--
>tc,hago.

>.
>
>in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
>
>learn linux:
>'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition'
> http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz 'The Linux Documentation Project'
> http://www.tldp.org/