Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Todd Zullinger

Default F8 either rebooting or restarting X while I'm away

Gerry Tool wrote:
> The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
> probably>= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me. Since I
> don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if
> X is restarting.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?

I haven't, but it makes me think of problems others have had in past
releases where a screensaver would crash and take down your session.
So perhaps disable all screen savers and see if it stops. If if does,
selectively re-enable screensavers and see if you can find which one
causes this (IIRC, it was usually 3-D screensavers in the past that
caused this).

> What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?

There may be some logs in ~/.xsession-errors. But that file gets
overwritten at each login, so you'd want to login as another user or
from the console to see what it contained when X exited.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:11:45 -0600
Gerry Tool <gerrytool@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find the login screen greeting me. Since I
> don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
> is restarting.

You can type "uptime" into a terminal window and see how long your system has
been running since the last reboot.

I agree with Todd Zullinger -- it sounds like a screensaver issue. I have see
this happen on some machines as well (though not recently) where the
screensaver will either lock up the whole desktop or cause it to crash and
return to the login screen.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Gerry Tool wrote:
> The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
> probably >= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me. Since I
> don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
> is restarting.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?
>
> What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gerry

If you look in /var/log/messages, you will see a definite sequence
when the machine boots. It will start something like:

Dec 4 12:05:21 mikkel syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
Dec 4 12:05:21 mikkel kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source = /proc/kmsg
started.
Dec 4 12:05:21 mikkel kernel: Linux version 2.6.22.9-61.fc6
(brewbuilder@hs20-bc2-4.build.redhat.com
Dec 4 12:05:21 mikkel kernel: BIOS-provided physical RAM map:

That gives you a quick check to see if the machine is rebooting. To
see if X is restarting, the timestamp on /var/log/Xorg.0.log can be
helpful, as well as any messages in /var/log/messages.

Mikkel

Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Karl Larsen

Gerry Tool wrote:

The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
probably >= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me. Since I
don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
is restarting.

Does anyone else experience this?

What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?

Thanks.

Gerry

It sounds like your new F8 is timing out sooner than your other one.
You can adjust that somewhere but I forget where now. It is simple and
you can make the delay an hour or 2.

I think it is normal and not a problem.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:11:45PM -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
> probably >= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me. Since I
> don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
> is restarting.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?
>
> What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gerry

Are you seeing the effect of

System -> Preferences -> Look&Feel -> Screensaver

having the "Lock screen when screensaver is active" box checked?

This causes a login-like dialogue to appear when you come back
from the screensaver.

--
Wolfe

Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Steve Searle

Around 06:58pm on Friday, December 07, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> Gerry Tool wrote:
> >The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
> >probably >= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me. Since I
> >don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
> >is restarting.
> >
> >Does anyone else experience this?
> >
> >What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Gerry
> >

> It sounds like your new F8 is timing out sooner than your other one.
> You can adjust that somewhere but I forget where now. It is simple and
> you can make the delay an hour or 2.
>
> I think it is normal and not a problem.

Assuming it was not a locked screen saver asking for your password (and
from what you have said it isn't), then this certainly *isn't* normal
behaviour and it is a problem.

I would agree with others who think it may be a crashing screensaver
taking down the X Windows system. I have had this in the past when I
have had a random selection of screen savers. I would disable
screensavers and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can then
activate them one at a time until it appears. In my experience the
problem is worse with 3gl cards and proprietary drivers.

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

19:25:50 up 69 days, 6:22, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.03

Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Mike

Steve Searle <steve <at> stevesearle.com> writes:

> Assuming it was not a locked screen saver asking for your password (and
> from what you have said it isn't), then this certainly *isn't* normal
> behaviour and it is a problem.
>
> I would agree with others who think it may be a crashing screensaver
> taking down the X Windows system. I have had this in the past when I
> have had a random selection of screen savers. I would disable
> screensavers and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can then
> activate them one at a time until it appears. In my experience the
> problem is worse with 3gl cards and proprietary drivers.

I can confirm this type of behaviour also. On machines running F8 with
the KDE desktop and running gl screensavers I had one machine hang X
completely as soon as the mouse was moved - the machine was running
and i could ssh in, but X had crashed completely and even doing
telinit 3 followed by telinit 5 did not restart X. This repeated at
various random intervals.

The only option I could find at that point was to reboot.
Changing back to a non-gl screensaver gave no recurrence of this problem.

It is possible others are seeing these symptoms and rebooting but not
reporting.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
"Gerry Tool"

On Dec 7, 2007 2:23 PM, Mike <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Searle <steve <at> stevesearle.com> writes:
>
> > Assuming it was not a locked screen saver asking for your password (and
> > from what you have said it isn't), then this certainly *isn't* normal
> > behaviour and it is a problem.
> >
> > I would agree with others who think it may be a crashing screensaver
> > taking down the X Windows system. I have had this in the past when I
> > have had a random selection of screen savers. I would disable
> > screensavers and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can then
> > activate them one at a time until it appears. In my experience the
> > problem is worse with 3gl cards and proprietary drivers.
>
> I can confirm this type of behaviour also. On machines running F8 with
> the KDE desktop and running gl screensavers I had one machine hang X
> completely as soon as the mouse was moved - the machine was running
> and i could ssh in, but X had crashed completely and even doing
> telinit 3 followed by telinit 5 did not restart X. This repeated at
> various random intervals.
>
> The only option I could find at that point was to reboot.
> Changing back to a non-gl screensaver gave no recurrence of this problem.
>
> It is possible others are seeing these symptoms and rebooting but not
> reporting.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have just deactivated the
screensaver and will see what happens. I do have a long list of
screensavers and have Random as the selection The problem was not a
screensaver lock, it is a restart of X putting me back to the GDM
login window.

Mikkel: Thanks for the log message post. /var/log/messages does have
a lot of lines like

Dec 8 07:36:04 f8 gdm-binary[10911]: WARNING:
gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

which I believe is X restarting. I did find some kernel restart lines
also, but I believe those were all from times I rebooted manually.

I am back running Gnome/GDM, after running KDE.KDM for about a month.
This behavior is just since switching environments. Please no flame
wars about Gnome/KDE. They both have great features.

Gerry