-   -   corrupted ISOs, or wrong SHA1SUMs ?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/147075-corrupted-isos-wrong-sha1sums.html)

Kevin Kofler 08-22-2008 04:35 PM

corrupted ISOs, or wrong SHA1SUMs ??

SCHAER Frederic <frederic.schaer <at> cea.fr> writes:
> Just to be on the safe side, I checked the SHA1 sums : surprinsigly, there
> was an error, and verification failed. So, I went to another mirror, and
> downloaded a new DVD image. I checked it : verification failed.
[snip]
> This is what I have (on cygwin, but this shouldn't be a problem, should it ?)

Try again with the -b (binary) option to sha1sum and md5sum. On Window$, that
often matters.

Kevin Kofler

"SCHAER Frederic" 08-22-2008 04:48 PM

corrupted ISOs, or wrong SHA1SUMs ??

Hi,

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to change :

$ sha1sum.exe -b -c SHA1SUM
sha1sum: the --binary and --text options are meaningless when veri
Try `sha1sum --help' for more information.

$ sha1sum.exe -b Fedora-9-x86_64-DVD.iso
62a608efe79fe50fa60ce8ea9e78f46ebbcec60c *Fedora-9-x86_64-DVD.iso

$ grep DVD SHA1SUM
f92576227484a4eeda0e86a497836c67c34d20ef Fedora-9-x86_64-DVD.iso

I should try to transfer the ISO to a linux host, to see if I have the same error...

Matt Domsch 08-23-2008 03:11 AM

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 06:28:00PM +0200, SCHAER Frederic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Willing to tryout few virtualisations solutions in fedora, I downloaded the DVD ISO yesterday.
>
> Just to be on the safe side, I checked the SHA1 sums : surprinsigly, there was an error, and verification failed. So, I went to another mirror, and downloaded a new DVD image. I checked it : verification failed.

Check the length of your downloaded ISO vs. what it _should_ be. Some
http downloads will screw up with a >2GB file...

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Tim 08-23-2008 07:46 AM

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 22:11 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> Check the length of your downloaded ISO vs. what it _should_ be. Some
> http downloads will screw up with a >2GB file...

Likewise with trying to save such big files on some file systems, such
as the *old* DOS/Windows one.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

"Kam Leo" 08-23-2008 09:40 PM

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 22:11 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
>> Check the length of your downloaded ISO vs. what it _should_ be. Some
>> http downloads will screw up with a >2GB file...
>
> Likewise with trying to save such big files on some file systems, such
> as the *old* DOS/Windows one.

BitTorrent clients can handle files in excess of 2 GB. Best to save
to an NTFS formatted drive. If a torrent is too slow for you use
wget.exe (version 1.10.2 or greater) from the command line. Use it
with the -c option to ensure a complete download.

"Michael Jenkins" 08-24-2008 07:51 AM

2008/8/24 Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 22:11 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
>>> Check the length of your downloaded ISO vs. what it _should_ be. Some
>>> http downloads will screw up with a >2GB file...
>>
>> Likewise with trying to save such big files on some file systems, such
>> as the *old* DOS/Windows one.
>>

> BitTorrent clients can handle files in excess of 2 GB. Best to save
> to an NTFS formatted drive. If a torrent is too slow for you use
> wget.exe (version 1.10.2 or greater) from the command line. Use it
> with the -c option to ensure a complete download.

Fat32 drives have a file size limit of 4 GB.

Michael Jenkins
--
The way to happiness is: Keep your heart free from hate,
Your mind from worry. Live simply, give much.

"Kam Leo" 08-24-2008 04:59 PM

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Michael Jenkins <darvedd@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/24 Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Likewise with trying to save such big files on some file systems, such
>>> as the *old* DOS/Windows one.
>>>

>> BitTorrent clients can handle files in excess of 2 GB. Best to save
>> to an NTFS formatted drive. If a torrent is too slow for you use
>> wget.exe (version 1.10.2 or greater) from the command line. Use it
>> with the -c option to ensure a complete download.
>
> Fat32 drives have a file size limit of 4 GB.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Michael Jenkins

1) The maximum file size for FAT32 is actually one byte less than 4
GB. A single layer DVD can store 4.7 GB.

2) I was addressing the limitation of the file downloading
application/plugin in older browsers and, for that matter, older
versions of wget.