-   -   Yahoo! VMware Server Finally Installed! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/147064-yahoo-vmware-server-finally-installed.html)

Gene Poole 08-22-2008 04:19 PM

Yahoo! VMware Server Finally Installed!

All,

I finally got my VMware Server 1.0.6
installed on Fedora 8!

Here's what I did:

I followed the instructions
I found on http://fedorasolved.org/server-solutions/vmserver-install *-
exactly including the one-liner for Fedora 9. *I rebooted the machine
and then removed the kernel-devel that didn't match the uname -r listed
in step 8.
When it failed at step 32 (as
it had in the past), I then performed the process listed in 'Doing the
work' steps 1 and 1 (not a mistake, there is no step 2) and applied the
patch for the vmnet-only.
I then executed the vmware-config.pl
found in /usr/bin

All seems to be working except in KDE3,
the VMware Server Console wasn't added to the menus

Thanks for everyone's help!

Gene Poole

"Kevin J. Cummings" 08-22-2008 04:54 PM

Gene Poole wrote:

All,

I finally got my VMware Server 1.0.6 installed on Fedora 8!

Here's what I did:

1. I followed the instructions I found on
http://fedorasolved.org/server-solutions/vmserver-install -
exactly including the one-liner for Fedora 9. I rebooted the
machine and then removed the kernel-devel that didn't match the
uname -r listed in step 8.

Probably because I think the last few (6?) Fedora 8 kernels are now
2.6.25 kernels, when the previous ones were 2.6.24 kernels. So, now F8
and F9 need the same changes? Perhaps the FedoraSolved page needs updating?

2. When it failed at step 32 (as it had in the past), I then
performed the process listed in 'Doing the work' steps 1 and 1
(not a mistake, there is no step 2) and applied the patch for the
vmnet-only.
3. I then executed the vmware-config.pl found in /usr/bin

All seems to be working except in KDE3, the VMware Server Console wasn't
added to the menus

Thanks for everyone's help!
Gene Poole

Glad you got it working!