Old 08-22-2008, 04:43 AM
"Debasis Mahapatra"

Default Regarding RAM Management in FC

Dear All,
*
Hi! I am back with another querry. First, I want to thank David Hopkins for his useful advice regarding installation of Fedora Core on T7400 Dell Workstation. Now, I have another issue.
*
We have got five Dell T7400 workstations which has come with pre-installed Windows XP Pro. It has 1 TB HDD, 32 GB RAM, 1.5GB NVDIA card, etc. In windows it can (detect) use only 4 GB of RAM which may be the limitation of XP. Now, I have put Fedora Core 8 (32 bit) on this machine (I have tried FC9 but it was showing some signal problem regarding monitor, but I have the required resolution and frequency in the monitor) and everything is working fine. But, the only problem is here also it is taking (using) only 4 GB of RAM. It is a dual boot machine now having Windows Xp and Fedora Core 8.

*
So my question is if there is a way to use all my 32 GB RAM and how. I would be grateful if someone can advice me on this.
*
Thanking you all
*
Debasis
--
Debasis Mahapatra
Project Scientist

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Niels de Vos

Hello Debasis,

your question is not really anaconda specific; maybe you should post it to
fedora-users instead/too?

Debasis Mahapatra wrote:
> So my question is if there is a way to use all my 32 GB RAM and how. I would
> be grateful if someone can advice me on this.

Some Fedora variants provide a kernel with PAE (Physical Address Extension)
which should work. However I would advise you to setup a x86_64 system if possible.

Niels

Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 AM
"George Machitidze"

Just use kernel-PAE or 64-bit capable version, dont be afraid if your mem usage will hit 100% - there is no need to have "free RAM" - linux uses it as much as possible, for example for filesystem cache, on my server you can test reading 10GB file, it takes about 3 secs, because really used physical memory is so low that i have about 16 Gigs in background...

Debasis Mahapatra wrote:

> So my question is if there is a way to use all my 32 GB RAM and how. I would

> be grateful if someone can advice me on this.

Some Fedora variants provide a kernel with PAE (Physical Address Extension)

which should work. However I would advise you to setup a x86_64 system if possible.

Niels

Best Regards,

George Machitidze

Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Adam Pribyl

So my question is if there is a way to use all my 32 GB RAM and how. I would
be grateful if someone can advice me on this.

This is one of those boomerang questions.
1. if you want to efectively use this amount of RAM use 64b system if possible
2. use PAE kernel on 32b system.

Read more about 32b and PAE limitations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Thanking you all

Debasis

Adam Pribyl

Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM
John Summerfield

Debasis Mahapatra wrote:

Dear All,

Hi! I am back with another querry. First, I want to thank David Hopkins for
his useful advice regarding installation of Fedora Core on T7400 Dell
Workstation. Now, I have another issue.

We have got five Dell T7400 workstations which has come with pre-installed
Windows XP Pro. It has 1 TB HDD, 32 GB RAM, 1.5GB NVDIA card, etc. In
windows it can (detect) use only 4 GB of RAM which may be the limitation of
XP. Now, I have put Fedora Core 8 (32 bit) on this machine (I have tried FC9
but it was showing some signal problem regarding monitor, but I have the
required resolution and frequency in the monitor) and everything is working
fine. But, the only problem is here also it is taking (using) only 4 GB of
RAM. It is a dual boot machine now having Windows Xp and Fedora Core 8.

This is the wrong list, you should be asking questions like this on the
Fedora list.

That aside, 32-bit addresses allow addressing 4 Gbytes memory. Take out
a bit for video, for memory-mapped I/O, for system ROM and you're back
to around 3.5,

To use more, you need an OS able to use larger addresses, such as 64-bit
Windows and 64-bit versions of Linux (PAE is a bit of a bandaid).

So my question is if there is a way to use all my 32 GB RAM and how. I would
be grateful if someone can advice me on this.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait