Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Tim

Default Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 18:18 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I replaced my CD-ROM writer with a DVD-ROM writer, and now
> automounting of either CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs no longer takes place.
> Instead, the CD-Creator gets started up, as it does for a blank
> writable CD-ROM.

Bad drive? Does it work anywhere else?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Mike McCarty

Tim wrote:

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 18:18 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

I replaced my CD-ROM writer with a DVD-ROM writer, and now
automounting of either CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs no longer takes place.
Instead, the CD-Creator gets started up, as it does for a blank
writable CD-ROM.

Bad drive? Does it work anywhere else?

Well, that's what I've been wondering. It mounts. It writes CDs
and DVDs. The CDs look ok on another machine. The DVDs I dunno.
I can mount them and look around using the same drive. I don't
have another machine with Linux to test with, however.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Mike McCarty wrote:

> The CD drive works as expected. The DVD does not. When I put a
> written CD into the CD drive, it mounts, and shows the label.
> When I put the same disc into the DVD drive, it brings up the
> CD Creator box, like it was blank. Closing that, and doing a mount
> causes the disc to mount and be usable, but the label is not
> noticed, it mounts just as cdrom1.

I didn't run FC2, so I am nt sure about this. Could it be that the
DVD-ROM drive is reporting that there is a disk in the drive, but
taking too long to report the rest of the information, so that the
system is assuming that it is a blank disk? (Or reporting error like
it is trying to read a blank disk...)

Mikkel

Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

The CD drive works as expected. The DVD does not. When I put a
written CD into the CD drive, it mounts, and shows the label.
When I put the same disc into the DVD drive, it brings up the
CD Creator box, like it was blank. Closing that, and doing a mount
causes the disc to mount and be usable, but the label is not
noticed, it mounts just as cdrom1.

I didn't run FC2, so I am nt sure about this. Could it be that the
DVD-ROM drive is reporting that there is a disk in the drive, but
taking too long to report the rest of the information, so that the
system is assuming that it is a blank disk? (Or reporting error like
it is trying to read a blank disk...)

That's a good supposition.

I suppose that's possible. What I really need is to be able to know
that others use DVD-ROM drives and don't have this problem. I want
to narrow it down to either the DVD-ROM drive itself, settings in
FC2, or what. Until I know what the incompatibility is, I can't go
about fixing it. I don't want to return the drive, only to have
the replacement behave the same way. Perhaps I can put a CD-ROM
in there as well, and boot CentOS or similar LiveCD and see what
it thinks. If the drive works as expected with CentOS, then perhaps
that's the way to go. I really should be using a supported OS anyway.

If it does not work with a LiveCD, then perhaps there actually is
a problem with the drive itself.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

The CD drive works as expected. The DVD does not. When I put a
written CD into the CD drive, it mounts, and shows the label.
When I put the same disc into the DVD drive, it brings up the
CD Creator box, like it was blank. Closing that, and doing a mount
causes the disc to mount and be usable, but the label is not
noticed, it mounts just as cdrom1.

I didn't run FC2, so I am nt sure about this. Could it be that the
DVD-ROM drive is reporting that there is a disk in the drive, but
taking too long to report the rest of the information, so that the
system is assuming that it is a blank disk? (Or reporting error like
it is trying to read a blank disk...)

You know, that really is an idea. I wonder how one would configure
Gnome (or whatever is waiting) to wait longer.

Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> I didn't run FC2, so I am not sure about this. Could it be that the
>> DVD-ROM drive is reporting that there is a disk in the drive, but
>> taking too long to report the rest of the information, so that the
>> system is assuming that it is a blank disk? (Or reporting error like
>> it is trying to read a blank disk...)
>
> That's a good supposition.
>
> I suppose that's possible. What I really need is to be able to know
> that others use DVD-ROM drives and don't have this problem. I want
> to narrow it down to either the DVD-ROM drive itself, settings in
> FC2, or what. Until I know what the incompatibility is, I can't go
> about fixing it. I don't want to return the drive, only to have
> the replacement behave the same way. Perhaps I can put a CD-ROM
> in there as well, and boot CentOS or similar LiveCD and see what
> it thinks. If the drive works as expected with CentOS, then perhaps
> that's the way to go. I really should be using a supported OS anyway.
>
> If it does not work with a LiveCD, then perhaps there actually is
> a problem with the drive itself.
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Mike
Well, I am running 2 DVD-RW - I forget the brands, but they show up
in dmesg as:
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202G
DVDRW DRW-5S163

They will both auto-mount CDs and DVDs. But this is with F8, so I do
not know if that helps with FC2.

One other thing to keep in mind when testing - some systems will not
boot from CD if there are 2 CD/DVD drives in the system at the same
time. I think it is getting kind of rare now, but I do run into it
once in a while.

I hope this helps...

Mikkel

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Well, I am running 2 DVD-RW - I forget the brands, but they show up
in dmesg as:
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202G
DVDRW DRW-5S163

dmesg shows:

[...]
hdc: SONY DVD RW DRU-V200A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
[...]
hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[...]

They will both auto-mount CDs and DVDs. But this is with F8, so I do
not know if that helps with FC2.

One other thing to keep in mind when testing - some systems will not
boot from CD if there are 2 CD/DVD drives in the system at the same
time. I think it is getting kind of rare now, but I do run into it
once in a while.

Worth bearing in mind. My BIOS looks pretty savvy, but I'll watch
for that.

I hope this helps...

Well, you're being helpful, anyway. Thanks!

Mike