-   -   Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/146684-automount-cd-roms-no-longer-works.html)

Tom Horsley 08-21-2008 11:30 PM

Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:18:11 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Someone please advise me on how to proceed to get this
> drive to work for me the way I would like.

Well, FC2 probably predates udev, but I know when I replaced
a DVD drive I found a rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules file
which was apparently generated on first boot. I had to
modify the file to remove the pointers to the old drive and
make the new drive show up as the 1st device.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is something similar stashed
under /etc somewhere in FC2.

Mike McCarty 08-21-2008 11:53 PM

Tom Horsley wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:18:11 -0500
Someone please advise me on how to proceed to get this
drive to work for me the way I would like.

Well, FC2 probably predates udev, but I know when I replaced
a DVD drive I found a rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules file
which was apparently generated on first boot. I had to
modify the file to remove the pointers to the old drive and
make the new drive show up as the 1st device.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is something similar stashed
under /etc somewhere in FC2.

Your suggestion makes sense, except that the Memorex drive
is not the original, either. I don't have the original drive
here for test; it's at a friend's house. I installed both
the Sony and the Memorex on the same cable etc.; physically
the installations are identical.

After a manual mount, I have...

/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)

My /etc/fstab entry looks like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[spaces removed for clarity of reading]

I wonder if this is different? It shows /dev/hdc mounted, not
/dev/cdrom.

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 18:08 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

Maybe I should look at the /dev/cdrom device when it's working.

I don't run udev...

$ man udev
No manual entry for udev

I had considered using udev, but after I read the documentation
by the author carefully, I decided that the solution he proposed
was worse than the problems I experienced, so I haven't pursued
it further.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 08-21-2008 11:59 PM

Mike McCarty wrote:

> After a manual mount, I have...
>
> /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)
>
> My /etc/fstab entry looks like this:
>
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> [spaces removed for clarity of reading]
>
> I wonder if this is different? It shows /dev/hdc mounted, not
> /dev/cdrom.
>
> $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 18:08 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
>
> Maybe I should look at the /dev/cdrom device when it's working.

You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Mikkel

Mike McCarty 08-22-2008 12:08 AM

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

After a manual mount, I have...

/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)

My /etc/fstab entry looks like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[spaces removed for clarity of reading]

I wonder if this is different? It shows /dev/hdc mounted, not
/dev/cdrom.

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 18:08 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

Maybe I should look at the /dev/cdrom device when it's working.

You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If

Yes, that's what I did just up above. I guess you missed that.
Anyway, here's what it shows with the Memorex (which works)

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 19:02 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd

The drive which isn't working the way I want is jumpered as
Master. The drive is on the end, however, so even if jumpered
as CS it would be Master. Well, I just pulled it, and it's
jumpered as Slave. That may well be the whole problem. Time
for another reboot and check.

this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Thanks for the idea!

Mike

Mike McCarty 08-22-2008 12:32 AM

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

To recap: the DVD drive which does not work was jumpered as Master,
while the CD drive which does work was jumpered as Slave.

Ok, I rejumpered the DVD drive to be Slave, and installed, and
the symptoms are as before, though the /dev/cdrom entry now
corresponds to the one which works with the CD drive. I also
rejumpered the CD drive as master, and reinstalled it, and
noted that the /dev/cdrom entry changed to match the one which
does not work with the DVD drive, and yet it works properly with
the CD reader.

So, while a good idea to try, it is not the answer. The CD drive
works as either Master or Slave, while the DVD drive works as
neither Master nor Slave. The symptoms follow the drive. Do I
perhaps need to make a device /dev/dvdrom? I thought the protocols
were identical.

Mike

Mike McCarty 08-22-2008 12:56 AM

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Ok, I put both of them on the cable, jumpered as CS, with the CD
on the Master, and the DVD on the slave location. I rebooted, and
got an entry in my fstab...

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[spaces edited]

Also,

$ ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 19:26 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 19:44 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 15, 0 Feb 23 2004 /dev/cdu31a
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 24, 0 Feb 23 2004 /dev/cdu535
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 21 19:44 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/hdd

The CD drive works as expected. The DVD does not. When I put a
written CD into the CD drive, it mounts, and shows the label.
When I put the same disc into the DVD drive, it brings up the
CD Creator box, like it was blank. Closing that, and doing a mount
causes the disc to mount and be usable, but the label is not
noticed, it mounts just as cdrom1.

Mike