Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Robert C Smith

Default Kernel Version

I have been using Windows for over 15 years but I'm new to Linux. I
recently installed Fedora 9 from a Live CD and allowed it to update
itself over the net. I am trying to find out my kernel version. On the
GNOME desktop from the top menu bar I select System --> About This
Computer. That window has a line that says "Kernel Linux
2.6.27-0.244.rc2.git1.fc10.i686". Is this the kernel version?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Robert C Smith wrote:

I have been using Windows for over 15 years but I'm new to Linux. I
recently installed Fedora 9 from a Live CD and allowed it to update
itself over the net. I am trying to find out my kernel version. On the
GNOME desktop from the top menu bar I select System --> About This
Computer. That window has a line that says "Kernel Linux
2.6.27-0.244.rc2.git1.fc10.i686". Is this the kernel version?

Correct. In the command line, uname -a would give you the current
version that you are running. Note that Fedora 10 is a alpha level
release now meant for developers, testers and if you are new to Linux,
you probably should be running a earlier general release such as Fedora 9.

Rahul

Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

2008/8/21 Robert C Smith <fedora@robertcsmith.name>:
> I have been using Windows for over 15 years but I'm new to Linux. I
> recently installed Fedora 9 from a Live CD and allowed it to update
> itself over the net. I am trying to find out my kernel version. On the
> GNOME desktop from the top menu bar I select System --> About This
> Computer. That window has a line that says "Kernel Linux
> 2.6.27-0.244.rc2.git1.fc10.i686". Is this the kernel version?

That suggests that somehow after installing Fedora 9 (the current
stable release) you enabled the development software repository and
updated to the current development (rawhide) version - I really don't
think you wanted to do this if you're new to linux, this is only
suitable for developers and testers. You should really consider
reinstalling Fedora 9 and not enabling the development repositories.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
fnol

Hi!

> I have been using Windows for over 15 years but I'm new to Linux. I
> recently installed Fedora 9 from a Live CD and allowed it to update
> itself over the net. I am trying to find out my kernel version. On the
> GNOME desktop from the top menu bar I select System --> About This
> Computer. That window has a line that says "Kernel Linux
> 2.6.27-0.244.rc2.git1.fc10.i686". Is this the kernel version?

Yes... but it should say 2.6.25.nnnn
You are using a non-stabile kernel.

//fnol

Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Daniel

Hello, I just managed to do a dual boot for the first time(windows xp) and ubuntu 10.04 but I have a question. When I first start the computer it asks me what I want to boot up. Ubuntu has 4 entries and windows xp one. My question is why do I have two kernel versions version....x.x.x.x.22 and version x.x.x.x.23 and recovery modes for each. Why instead of two versions of kernels, I don't have only one? Let's say version .23. What's the difference between the two kernels and what does recovery mode? Can anyone tell me?

thank you so much! Have a great day everyone!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Liam Proven

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Daniel <asmosis.asterix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I just managed to do a dual boot for the first time(windows xp) and
> ubuntu 10.04 but I have a question. When I first start the computer it asks
> me what I want to boot up. Ubuntu has 4 entries and windows xp one. My
> question is why do I have two kernel versions version....x.x.x.x.22 and
> version x.x.x.x.23 and recovery modes for each. Why instead of two versions
> of kernels, I don't have only one? Let's say version .23. What's the
> difference between the two kernels and what does recovery mode? Can anyone
> tell me?
>
> thank you so much! Have a great day everyone!

One you've installed a new kernel - they come periodically as part of
your system updates - and you have rebooted into it and know it works
fine, you can, if you wish, remove the old one to keep your GRUB boot
menu nice and tidy.

The way I do it is this:

- run Synaptic
- in the Quick Search box, enter the kernel main revision: for
instance, at the moment, for 10.04, that is 2.6.32 - do *NOT* include
the build number, the one on the end after a hyphen.
- now click the 1st column header, where it says "S". This sorts the
list by installation status. You want the entries with green squares
coming first - in other words, it's listing the installed packages
first, followed by ones that are not installed.
- go to the top of the list, if necessary, with the scrollbar. You
should now see 3 entries for each installed kernel version.

E.g. I have:

linux-headers-2.6.32-21
linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic
linux-headers-2.6.32-22
linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic
linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic
linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic

Note that there are 3 entries for Linux 2.6.32-21 and 3 for Linux 2.6.32-22.

What you do next is to select the 3 entries for the older version - that is:
linux-headers-2.6.32-21
linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic
linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic

It's *VERY IMPORTANT* that you leave the entries for the current
kernel - 2.6.32-22 in this case - *UN*-selected.

Once you have selected the 3 parts of the older kernel version - hold
down the Control key and click them to group-select - next,
right-click them and pick "Mark for Complete Removal".

Then click Apply. Wait for Synaptic to remove the old kernel.

Reboot and you'll see only your latest kernel in the list.

Do this VERY CAREFULLY. Remove the wrong bits and you will leave your
system unable to boot!

If you're not confident about doing this kind of thing, don't. Just
ignore the older entries in GRUB.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Daniel

Thank you very much for your answer. It has helped me very much. All the best!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

If you're not confident about doing this kind of thing, don't. Just

ignore the older entries in GRUB.

Nice help :-) Is there any way to edit Grub2 menu entries? With Grub2 it seems close to impossible?
Swapnil Bhartiya

*

Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Colin Law

On 12 May 2010 22:15, Swapnil Bhartiya <muktware@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Nice help :-) Is there any way to edit Grub2 menu entries? With Grub2 it
> seems close to impossible?

This may help - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2, though you
may have seen it already.

Colin

Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

This may help - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2, though you

may have seen it already.

Colin

Thanks Colin, yes that one I have seen. I think Grub 1 was easier to edit. I have installed Gnu/Linux Ubuntu on may PCs. Most users are elderly with a dual boot machine and they really get upset. I hope to find a simple way to help them. Gnu/Linux is just amazing :-) I will rejoice the day we reach 50% market share ;-)

Swapnil
*