FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
"Jay Mistry"
 
Default Fedora 9 install method, when Graphics Card / LCD not detected

Is there a method to install FC 9 when the Graphics Card (nVidia 8400 GS) &/or LCD Monitor (17" LG 177WSB, with native res of 1440 X 900) is not supported?
After installing from the i386 DVD, I get a blank screen & don't know how to proceed (am new to Linux & FC9).


Mainboard is the Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 (with nVidia 610i chipset), if this helps.

Thanks,


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
"Steve Repo"
 
Default Fedora 9 install method, when Graphics Card / LCD not detected

2008/8/22 Jay Mistry <jaylinux52@gmail.com>:
> Is there a method to install FC 9 when the Graphics Card (nVidia 8400 GS)
> &/or LCD Monitor (17" LG 177WSB, with native res of 1440 X 900) is not
> supported?
> After installing from the i386 DVD, I get a blank screen & don't know how to
> proceed (am new to Linux & FC9).
>
> Mainboard is the Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 (with nVidia 610i chipset), if this
> helps.
>


Welcome to Fedora!

Login to the terminal as root.

Run system-config-display --reconfig

This should walk you through the display setup again.

You may need the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website for optimal graphics setup.

Good Luck!

Steve

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
"Jay Mistry"
 
Default Fedora 9 install method, when Graphics Card / LCD not detected

> Welcome to Fedora!
>
> Login to the terminal as root.
>
> Run system-config-display --reconfig
>
> This should walk you through the display setup again.
>

> You may need the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website for optimal graphics setup.

Hi,

I have downloaded the nVidia drivers (as a file with the .run extension, i.e. NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run, from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_173.14.12.html) and have put them on a CD. I can put them on an ext3 partition that I use as 'Data Storage' (done from the Parted Magic 3 Live Bootable CD, that has gparted also) or can also put them on a USB Disk.


How to proceed after that ? (I guess it will involve typing some commands from RL 3; but am unsure of the exact cmds to type & how to proceed thereafter. (I can get to the grub boot menu, but after that it's a no-show).


Thanks,

Jay

>
> Good Luck!
>
> Steve
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

>


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
"Steve Repo"
 
Default Fedora 9 install method, when Graphics Card / LCD not detected

2008/8/22 Jay Mistry <jaylinux52@gmail.com>:
>
>> Welcome to Fedora!
>>
>> Login to the terminal as root.
>>
>> Run system-config-display --reconfig
>>
>> This should walk you through the display setup again.
>>
>> You may need the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website for optimal graphics
>> setup.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the nVidia drivers (as a file with the .run extension,
> i.e. NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run, from
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_173.14.12.html) and have put
> them on a CD. I can put them on an ext3 partition that I use as 'Data
> Storage' (done from the Parted Magic 3 Live Bootable CD, that has gparted
> also) or can also put them on a USB Disk.
>
> How to proceed after that ? (I guess it will involve typing some commands
> from RL 3; but am unsure of the exact cmds to type & how to proceed
> thereafter. (I can get to the grub boot menu, but after that it's a
> no-show).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

When at the grub menu, press a for append mode. You will be at the end
of the grub line, add "init=3" (no quotes) at the end and press enter.

You may have to login here as "root" (no quotes) with the password you
setup during the install.

After you login type, system-config-display --reconfig

It will try to identify a resolution for the vesa driver.

Once it does so (even if it is 640x480) .. accept it and reboot.

Now you should get a GUI login screen.

Login as root, insert CD. CD will be automounted on the desktop, Copy
the nvidia driver file to the desktop,

Open terminal and type , cd Desktop.

Then type, sh <name of the nvidia file>

Follow the instructions

Also there should be newer Nvidia binary driver than the one you have
downloaded.

If you can login to the gui, you can download directly (it will
download to Downloads) to the filesystem.

Steve

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org