Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
William Case

Default Non-urgent query yum ?

Hi;

Does yum have a 'file' switch or option like most other programs dealing
with several pieces of data? eg. rsync --files-from /where/ever.

I just re-installed Fedora 9 and I probably will be installing F10 in a
couple of months. I keep a list of 15 -20 packages that I regularly
have to re-install right after the Fedora core installation.

It would be nice and easy to just 'yum install --from-file
~/billspackagelist' or after a disaster 'yum install
--from-file /backup/billspackagelist'

Maybe there is a way to do it without copying and pasting a long string
of package names and having to check for proper name separation etc. at
the end of 'yum install ...', but I didn't see it.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:50:00 -0400
William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:

> Does yum have a 'file' switch or option like most other programs dealing
> with several pieces of data?

Yum works off the repository definitions in /etc/yum.repos.d/

You can setup your own repo fairly simply if you have a collection
of rpms, all you need is to run the createrepo tool over the
directory (then discover the syntax to use in the repo definition
to say "local directory" rather than http: - a syntax I don't remember
right off hand :-).

Then you can use the yum --disablerepo and --enablerepo options
to tell it which ones to use.

P.S. /usr/bin/createrepo comes in the package named "createrepo"
(a miracle! :-).