Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Per Anton Rønning

Default Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

I think I have tried everything to fire up some browser applets in some
web-pages that I am visting frequently.

Everything was OK under FC 5 - Firefox -2, but now it just does not start.
I expect a login screen as the first response to starting up, but it
does never appear.
- I have installed the libjavaplugin_oji.so softlink in /home/<my
user>/.mozilla/plugins
- I have tried both jre 6 and jre 5 (i have installed the .bin self
extracting file according to some advide I found)
- I have Gooogled extensively to get hints, some were fond, but they did
not work.
- I have checked /usr/java/jre1.5.0_16/bin/ControPanel, as well as the
/usr/java/ jre1.6.0_07/-ditto- and I cannot find anything wrong.

- Right now the ..-oji.so points to jre1.5....

- Perhaps Firefox-9 searces in some other location to find this link? I
have found no hint about that. In FC 5 this works like a charm.

- One text I found hinted that this area is full of potential trouble,
and one issue is which version of C has been used to compile both Java
and Firefox.

Does anyone have some experience in this area?

Best Regards
PAR

Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 20:50 +0200, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> I think I have tried everything to fire up some browser applets in some
> web-pages that I am visting frequently.
> Everything was OK under FC 5 - Firefox -2, but now it just does not start.
> I expect a login screen as the first response to starting up, but it
> does never appear.
> - I have installed the libjavaplugin_oji.so softlink in /home/<my
> user>/.mozilla/plugins
> - I have tried both jre 6 and jre 5 (i have installed the .bin self
> extracting file according to some advide I found)
> - I have Gooogled extensively to get hints, some were fond, but they did
> not work.
> - I have checked /usr/java/jre1.5.0_16/bin/ControPanel, as well as the
> /usr/java/ jre1.6.0_07/-ditto- and I cannot find anything wrong.
> - Right now the ..-oji.so points to jre1.5....
>
> - Perhaps Firefox-9 searces in some other location to find this link? I
> have found no hint about that. In FC 5 this works like a charm.
>
> - One text I found hinted that this area is full of potential trouble,
> and one issue is which version of C has been used to compile both Java
> and Firefox.

See if you have the package below installed and if not, install it.
Java works just fine once installed, and no symbolic links or anything
needs to be created.

java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Per Anton Rønning

Mike Chambers wrote:

[...]

launcing $su -c "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk"

gave the following result:
:
:
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package 1:java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-0.16.b09.fc9.i386 already installed
and latest version

Nothing to do
So the package seems to be installed already.

Brgs
PAR

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 PM

Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 23:27 +0200, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:

> > See if you have the package below installed and if not, install it.
> > Java works just fine once installed, and no symbolic links or anything
> > needs to be created.
> >
> > java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin
> >

> launcing $su -c "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk"
>
> gave the following result:
> :
> :
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Package 1:java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-0.16.b09.fc9.i386 already installed
> and latest version
> Nothing to do
> So the package seems to be installed already.

You checked the main java package, not the plugin package. Try the one
below again to see if it's installed or not..

java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Ken Gullaksen

[...]

Is this 64bit or 32?

run 'uname -a' if your not sure

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Per Anton Rønning

g wrote:

Hi again, this is really puzzling. This is what I have:

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_16-b02

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_16

that is - the same as you.
On my old computer i have JRE 1.6.0_05 and Firefox 2.0.0.16.
Now the certificate of the applet in question has expired, so its name
is diplayed and I am promted to confirm that I want to run it. So I know
its name.
When I accept it it takes opens a new window, running interactive Java
application
ps ax shows that java-vm is running. Perhaps this is part of the problem
in the new environment. How do I check that -vm is ready to go to work?
( I have litte Java experience - which I obviously have to do something
about - I work with C)
Is there any other way to detect what Firefox 3 does with this applet
when trying to start it?

That might give a clue as to what's (not) going on.

NB! I have another URL which I access from time to time, this has a
frame on top of the screen
displaying a series of highlights pertaining to the page (a sort of
"whats new" flash), and this applet works. But it is simple, and it is
working wihin the web page, it does not launch an application in a new
window.

Maybe Java VM is the problem (?)

Brgds
PAR
and executed

accept it.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Mike Chambers wrote:

See if you have the package below installed and if not, install it.
Java works just fine once installed, and no symbolic links or anything
needs to be created.

java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin

launcing $su -c "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk"

gave the following result:
:
:
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package 1:java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-0.16.b09.fc9.i386 already installed
and latest version

Nothing to do
So the package seems to be installed already.

You checked the main java package, not the plugin package. Try the one
below again to see if it's installed or not..

java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin

Sorry, yhat was a slip on my part. But still - the -plugin is also
installed (nothing to do)
But I wonder if Java VM cold be the problem - check out my reply to g,
where this is explained.

Thanks!

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Ken Gullaksen wrote:

[...]

[par@localhost root]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 4
13:57:11 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I ordered a 32 bits machine - Intel Core 2 Duo, and I have 4 GB Ram of
which 3.7 GB is accessible according to "about the machine", so this
should be 32 bits.

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Per Anton Rønning wrote:

[par@localhost root]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 4
13:57:11 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I ordered a 32 bits machine - Intel Core 2 Duo, and I have 4 GB Ram of
which 3.7 GB is accessible according to "about the machine", so this
should be 32 bits.

Well, my Intel Core 2 Duo came like yours, installed with 32-bit Linux,
but it is certainly 64 bit capable. I'm running x86_64 on it now.
From what I've read, here and elsewhere, if you run a 64-bit version of
Linux on it, you should be able to use all 4GB of your RAM.

Brgds
PAR

--
Kevin J. Cummings